Trying to house feral and we’re both stressed

coffeecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like the title suggests, I’m fostering a feral cat that I thought could be easily acclimated to the indoors, but I’m finding this is not the case.

For context: earlier in the summer I noticed two cats hanging around my apartment complex. They would hang out around a specific first floor unit, and being a cat lover I wanted to save them and give them a home. The weather gets extreme here, so when we reached +110F degree weather I grew concerned for the cats, especially the fluffy maine coon. I soon discovered a couple had been feeding the cats and they gave me access to their yard to try to catch them. The maine coon literally walked into my cat carrier (lol), but the other cat would dart in the opposite direction when I got near. I originally wanted to rescue them both, but circumstance prevented me from going back for the second one. (we ended up finding a home for the maine coon tho!)

Well, now the temperatures have dropped to a steady 20-40F. I grew worried, again, because I knew the second cat was still left outside. I noticed the cat sitting in the neighbor’s windowsill at night (outside), and that it mostly hung out in their yard. I asked the neighbors if the cat was any friendlier and if they could help me catch it so I could rehome it, they said the cat was much friendlier, and that it even let them pick it up. They thankfully captured the cat for me since it liked them more (it darted again when it saw me coming).

I thought I could be patient and try to acclimate it to life indoors, and I thought it would be easier, since it seemed to warm up to my neighbors already. But this process is causing much unneeded stress to my already hectic life. For one, it’s too scared for us to get near it and pet it. I expected this would be a possibility, but it’s terrified and making no progress. It is eating and drinking thankfully, but it also has diarrhea, unsure if it’s due to illness or the stress of its new situation. And I just discovered that it’s shedding a large amount of flea feces— the biggest issue is we cannot get near it without it growling at us, so we cannot administer flea medicine.

I’m totally stumped on what to do. I feel like the obvious answer is to let it back outside, but the entire reason for us catching it is to get it out of this extreme weather (that will only get worse as it starts to snow). I know no shelter will take it since its ear is already tipped and it’s not as friendly as I assumed. Additionally, I know it won’t go back into the carrier without a fight, so we can’t take it to the vet to get checked for FeLV/FIV. Another reason for my stress is that we already have 3 cats, i’m terrified the fleas will burrow in the carpet and infect them too. I’m just not sure what to do from here, any advice and feral-to-indoor success stories would be appreciated!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
first, there IS an oral flea medicine that can be given, I saw some on E-Bay, and my vet gives it to my ferals too. You might break it into smaller pieces, and put it in some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, a cat treat. Or hide it in a piece of cheese or bacon. When the time comes you might get a topical worm medicine too, such a Profender from a vet (explain you can't bring the cat in, it is feral) and apply it high up on the back of the neck, almost between the ears so he can't twist around and lick it.
Now, how long has it been? Ferals can take MANY months to start to trust. The first step is to sit quietly in the room as often as you can and speak aloud from reading on your phone etc., in a soft voice. Is he eating/drinking/using the litter box at night? If he is he is starting to get used to the place. If the neighbors got to the point of touching him, or even picking him up, then he is just scared to death and will come around. Don't make a loud noise or make sudden movements, Right now just work on letting him trust you and come to YOU. Do not stare into his eyes, that is a threat to a cat, do not approach at all, he will feel hunted. Leave a treat when you leave. These things take an incredibly long time and a lot of patience. It WILL happen, in time. and each step will be a joy. Bless you for helping this boy, eventually he WILL give you his heart, he is just too scared and frightened right now!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking this cat in before the bad weather hits. I live in a snowy area and took care of two cats outside for a few years before I brought them inside and I know how hard it can be for them in winter.

Just to get things moving faster, do you think the neighbors who could pick him up would be willing to come to your house to apply the flea or de-worming medicine? Maybe this kitty would allow more handling from them? I know you want to get this cat comfortable with you, and I have every confidence that will happen, but if once or twice the neighbors could alleviate the initial flea problems, that could help keep your other cats flea-free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
first, there IS an oral flea medicine that can be given, I saw some on E-Bay, and my vet gives it to my ferals too. You might break it into smaller pieces, and put it in some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, a cat treat. Or hide it in a piece of cheese or bacon. When the time comes you might get a topical worm medicine too, such a Profender from a vet (explain you can't bring the cat in, it is feral) and apply it high up on the back of the neck, almost between the ears so he can't twist around and lick it.
Now, how long has it been? Ferals can take MANY months to start to trust. The first step is to sit quietly in the room as often as you can and speak aloud from reading on your phone etc., in a soft voice. Is he eating/drinking/using the litter box at night? If he is he is starting to get used to the place. If the neighbors got to the point of touching him, or even picking him up, then he is just scared to death and will come around. Don't make a loud noise or make sudden movements, Right now just work on letting him trust you and come to YOU. Do not stare into his eyes, that is a threat to a cat, do not approach at all, he will feel hunted. Leave a treat when you leave. These things take an incredibly long time and a lot of patience. It WILL happen, in time. and each step will be a joy. Bless you for helping this boy, eventually he WILL give you his heart, he is just too scared and frightened right now!
Thank you for the kind words & advice! I’ll look more in to the oral flea medicine, from what I saw they weren’t 100% effective, but something is definitely better than nothing. Once I realize the kitty had fleas I sort of panicked and started to believe the non-cat-lover naysayers in my life, so I’m SO glad I found this forum, it seems like every post is about taking in a feral cat 🤣 I’ll keep trying and being patient with this kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking this cat in before the bad weather hits. I live in a snowy area and took care of two cats outside for a few years before I brought them inside and I know how hard it can be for them in winter.

Just to get things moving faster, do you think the neighbors who could pick him up would be willing to come to your house to apply the flea or de-worming medicine? Maybe this kitty would allow more handling from them? I know you want to get this cat comfortable with you, and I have every confidence that will happen, but if once or twice the neighbors could alleviate the initial flea problems, that could help keep your other cats flea-free.
That’s a great idea! If it comes down to it I’ll definitely reach out to them for help.

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for adopting a feral!

Just some thoughts....ferals take time to acclimate to a home...the younger they are when you bring them in the shorter the amount of time to acclimation. Give the cat a dark place to hide, if you can, this seems to help. For diarrhea it could be the food it is eating. Many of the cat foods in the stores are actually harsh on a cat's digestive tract. Look at Purina One cat food. (Recommended to us by our vet, for an old cat with similar issues (18), and it has done wonders.)

Last edited: