Trying to have 2 possibly ferral cats get along...

jjjoooggg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted an orange cat from a rest stop. Yesterday, I adopted another stray gray cat that used to hiss alot. My orange cat would usually growl at the new gray stray. But yesterday something happened. The gray cat was laying on my lap. After my orange cat walked underneath me, he had his back to the gray cat. The gray cat growled. The orange turned his head and hissed. The gray cat jumped off my lap and landed on my orange cat and they fought. I picked up the gray and put him outside. My question is: should I still try to bring the gray cat inside? Or should I give up making them house mates?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jjjoooggg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cats have fought behind the window and once outside. Now, once inside, but the gray was only inside for 1 and half days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Following the formal introduction process is very important. I take in ferals and have only had ferals all my life. I take in mostly older ferals. So I am introducing a feral to ferals indoors all the time.

It is so important to build trust via the formal introduction process. So keeping them totally separate making positive associations (using food and via scent at first), maximizing positive encounters and minimizing or avoiding negative encounters and build their confidence via Play, Food, height and Love while doing this as a confident cat is more likely to accept and be accepted.

Thank you so much for saving 2 lives. I am happy to help you understand how to progress and give more specific help through the process.

The good news is, through the right knowledge (which we have) and the right effort the chances of success is extremely high. A feral cat is just a cat born in the wild in my opinion. Usually a cat in the wild has to learn some form of diplomacy to survive. A feral may not be as social to a human (and once they are they really are) but they tend to be pretty good to learn to live with other cats given the right effort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jjjoooggg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. My orange cat would give sad eyes when I let the cat in. I can't read his mind. I didn't know if I did something wrong. I was really worried because we found a cat killed by another cat on our property. I suspect another gray cat did it. I don't know if a cat has killed if it can live in harmony with other cats. The gray killer cat wants to come in too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. My orange cat would give sad eyes when I let the cat in. I can't read his mind. I didn't know if I did something wrong. I was really worried because we found a cat killed by another cat on our property. I suspect another gray cat did it. I don't know if a cat has killed if it can live in harmony with other cats. The gray killer cat wants to come in too.
You are welcome.

It is hard for the existing/resident cat (even though your orange guy hasn't been in long). Anytime an unknown cat comes into "their" territory it is unsettling. Just as if we would let someone passing by on the street come in and live with us. It would be hard to feel comfortable. It takes time to build trust.

That is why it is so important to keep them separate, go through the formal introduction process and build trust and confidence.

It is EXTREMELY important to spay and neuter. That will help immensely in getting along. If you have a TNR group in your area I would suggest contacting them and getting the outside cats (the grey cat also) TNR'd and that should greatly reduce or even eliminate any fighting.

One of my cats in my feral colony was EXTREMELY aggressive to other cats. Almost killed one of my orange cats. They now are in the same colony and are best friends. Neutering, food confidence, territorial security, etc are really important.

Let's take one step at a time. We need to properly intro the two cats you now have inside first before considering adding another cat. We need to keep them separate and slowly intro them and build their confidence. It is all about maximizing positive associations and positive encounters and minimizing or eliminating negative encounters to build trust between them. It is really important to go through the intro process. If a cat doesn't trust and is worried about being hurt they will defend and it can escalate. BUT if we can get them to trust and not worry about physical threats, threats to food, etc then we can find trust and success.

Please let us know if you need clarification on how to proceed. The orange and grey cats should be totally separate for now and we should feed on opposite sides of a closed door for now to make a positive association. They should not be able to see each other or be near each other in any way. Then we will work on progressing and get them intro'd. I intro ferals all the time and though it may take some time with the right knowledge (which we have) and the right effort the success rate is amazingly high. It is all about trust and food, water and litter box security.

Feel free to ask anything anytime. Happy to help.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats outside that are both fixed, one female and one male. Well about 4 months ago another male came along. Found out it was fixed also. My other male and this male would kind of walk softely by each other, then go away and come back later to eat. Never had a problem with them up until two nights ago. All of a sudden these last two night they are fighting. They both chased each other but ended up in the middle of the yard so I went out and hollared and clapped my hands. The one that has been here just went after the newer one. I don't know if it has to do with what I am feeding them, that they are territorial over. I make them chicken once in a while. I can't have them not getting along. The new cat that just came actually came from a farm 6 miles away, not knowing why it left, we are just assuming another cat was bullying it, and it found its way to my house. What can i do to make them not fight and get along. I need any information I can get. I don't want this other cat to leave.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats outside that are both fixed, one female and one male. Well about 4 months ago another male came along. Found out it was fixed also. My other male and this male would kind of walk softely by each other, then go away and come back later to eat. Never had a problem with them up until two nights ago. All of a sudden these last two night they are fighting. They both chased each other but ended up in the middle of the yard so I went out and hollared and clapped my hands. The one that has been here just went after the newer one. I don't know if it has to do with what I am feeding them, that they are territorial over. I make them chicken once in a while. I can't have them not getting along. The new cat that just came actually came from a farm 6 miles away, not knowing why it left, we are just assuming another cat was bullying it, and it found its way to my house. What can i do to make them not fight and get along. I need any information I can get. I don't want this other cat to leave.
"All of a sudden these last two night they are fighting." - It could be for a few reasons. Food, territory, redirected aggression, etc. Difficult to know sadly.

" They both chased each other but ended up in the middle of the yard so I went out and hollared and clapped my hands." ok, it is challenging to know how to handle it.

"The one that has been here just went after the newer one." Probably trying to defend the territory. But he could feel threatened physically, difficult to know. BUT understandable he did that. :/

"I don't know if it has to do with what I am feeding them, that they are territorial over." - Could be or just territory, etc..

"I make them chicken once in a while." - Great

"I can't have them not getting along." - I know but it is hard to control as it is an unrestrained territory. :/

"The new cat that just came actually came from a farm 6 miles away, not knowing why it left, we are just assuming another cat was bullying it, and it found its way to my house." - :/ Poor thing

"What can i do to make them not fight and get along. I need any information I can get. I don't want this other cat to leave." - What I do is use food like in an intro process. So I make sure the existing feral has all the food and then some so they don't fear access to food. I also make sure I add additional housing so that safe sleeping places can be had and they can find their own space. Depending on how feral they are I try to (and this has to be done safely for the human) to feed each with each other trying to create a positive association and a positive encounter (what I would do what an indoor intro). I also try to distract and reassure the cats if possible trying to make sure I don't get the new cat running away and acting like prey (which means the existing cat will chase). The more they are together and not attacking each other and getting all the food and water they need the more they can build trust and then get along.

It is honestly very difficult to get another cat to join the colony. Mainly it depends on their diplomatic skills but a human can maybe increase the odds.

The best solution is to find a home for the cat BUT that is a real challenge as well even in good times. Sadly. :(

I am very tired right now and have to take care of my feral colony and my indoor cats but I'll check back tomorrow to see your response and what others suggest, We will try our best.

Thank you for caring about them!!

Let's see what works and hopefully we can get the new cat to feel safe and join the colony.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your comments. I have two feeding stations and they both have food in them. They never had a problem before. The only thing that comes to mind is. I put a heavy tarp over the other one to keep any air or wind going into it, to keep it warmer, and they were looking at it, like it was some kind of trap. I usually have this already to go before winter but it was suppose to be cold the other night so I hurried and threw this tarp over it. This morning I was right, no food was eaten. So because they didn't eat some of that food maybe the other cat was keeping the other food for itself. All my outside cats I wouldn't say feral, not really mean, but they will not come to you, and they only come after dark most of the time, and will run if I go out. This new cat that came from a farm 6 miles away can only be an outside cat. I trapped it and from there we found out it had a chip. So its history was, that it came from a apartment building with another cat, the other cat got adopted out but this one didn't, it was placed in a foster home, but wouldn't do anything just very sad. So from there the rescue found a farm, that they thought he would be happy at because he could be outside, if he wanted. The owner of the farm said it was there for a few months and then she didn't see it anymore. So I trap and return, so this new cat showed up and I trapped him and then we found all this out. So the rescue came and got him and placed him in a home and he was depressed, would put his head down when you looked at him. Not a mean cat at all, I could touch him, he never made a noise until we were moving him from the trap into a carrier for the rescue to take him. She called me in a few days and said he isn't doing well in the house would I take him back. I told her I would and he has been here every day since. Didn't miss a beat, which I was hoping since we trapped him and moved him for a few days, I thought he might go away. Another thing he does is sits in the door way of the feeding station and won't move so the other cats can go and eat. But the other night the other cat decided to sit in the door way and this new one walked right up to the feeding station and went in the other door and this cat went right after it, and that is how the fight started. But it could of had something to do with the other food station. I have 5 places for them to go sleep, and I have two feeding stations. I hate to see them tore up, but maybe the best thing to do is let them fight it out. I hate to see that because if one of them gets hurt, it is hard to trap them. Most of the cat just come and eat and then go, and return later. I even put more food out sometimes before I go to bed, so they don't have to feel another cat is taking there food.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your comments. I have two feeding stations and they both have food in them. They never had a problem before. The only thing that comes to mind is. I put a heavy tarp over the other one to keep any air or wind going into it, to keep it warmer, and they were looking at it, like it was some kind of trap. I usually have this already to go before winter but it was suppose to be cold the other night so I hurried and threw this tarp over it. This morning I was right, no food was eaten. So because they didn't eat some of that food maybe the other cat was keeping the other food for itself. All my outside cats I wouldn't say feral, not really mean, but they will not come to you, and they only come after dark most of the time, and will run if I go out. This new cat that came from a farm 6 miles away can only be an outside cat. I trapped it and from there we found out it had a chip. So its history was, that it came from a apartment building with another cat, the other cat got adopted out but this one didn't, it was placed in a foster home, but wouldn't do anything just very sad. So from there the rescue found a farm, that they thought he would be happy at because he could be outside, if he wanted. The owner of the farm said it was there for a few months and then she didn't see it anymore. So I trap and return, so this new cat showed up and I trapped him and then we found all this out. So the rescue came and got him and placed him in a home and he was depressed, would put his head down when you looked at him. Not a mean cat at all, I could touch him, he never made a noise until we were moving him from the trap into a carrier for the rescue to take him. She called me in a few days and said he isn't doing well in the house would I take him back. I told her I would and he has been here every day since. Didn't miss a beat, which I was hoping since we trapped him and moved him for a few days, I thought he might go away. Another thing he does is sits in the door way of the feeding station and won't move so the other cats can go and eat. But the other night the other cat decided to sit in the door way and this new one walked right up to the feeding station and went in the other door and this cat went right after it, and that is how the fight started. But it could of had something to do with the other food station. I have 5 places for them to go sleep, and I have two feeding stations. I hate to see them tore up, but maybe the best thing to do is let them fight it out. I hate to see that because if one of them gets hurt, it is hard to trap them. Most of the cat just come and eat and then go, and return later. I even put more food out sometimes before I go to bed, so they don't have to feel another cat is taking there food.
"I have two feeding stations and they both have food in them." - Ok. Do you take the food in at night? So that other animals are not coming around.

"They never had a problem before." - Ok, so something changed.

" The only thing that comes to mind is. I put a heavy tarp over the other one to keep any air or wind going into it, to keep it warmer, and they were looking at it, like it was some kind of trap." - Yes, that change can cause issues (though it is better to protect the food and them).

" I usually have this already to go before winter but it was suppose to be cold the other night so I hurried and threw this tarp over it." - Understandable

" This morning I was right, no food was eaten." - Yes, not surprising.

" So because they didn't eat some of that food maybe the other cat was keeping the other food for itself." - Could be or jsut the change causes stress which then causes some behavioral issues.

" All my outside cats I wouldn't say feral, not really mean, but they will not come to you, and they only come after dark most of the time, and will run if I go out." - Ok

"This new cat that came from a farm 6 miles away can only be an outside cat. I trapped it and from there we found out it had a chip. So its history was, that it came from a apartment building with another cat, the other cat got adopted out but this one didn't, it was placed in a foster home, but wouldn't do anything just very sad." - Poor thing. :( Way too common of a story. :(

"So from there the rescue found a farm, that they thought he would be happy at because he could be outside, if he wanted. The owner of the farm said it was there for a few months and then she didn't see it anymore. So I trap and return, so this new cat showed up and I trapped him and then we found all this out." - Ok

"So the rescue came and got him and placed him in a home and he was depressed, would put his head down when you looked at him. Not a mean cat at all, I could touch him, he never made a noise until we were moving him from the trap into a carrier for the rescue to take him." Some cats will "freeze" like when being trapped etc. Maybe that home wasn't right?

"She called me in a few days and said he isn't doing well in the house would I take him back. I told her I would and he has been here every day since. Didn't miss a beat, which I was hoping since we trapped him and moved him for a few days, I thought he might go away." Ok, he likes it by you.

"Another thing he does is sits in the door way of the feeding station and won't move so the other cats can go and eat." - Yes, a bit food protective.

" But the other night the other cat decided to sit in the door way and this new one walked right up to the feeding station and went in the other door and this cat went right after it, and that is how the fight started." - Understandable.

" But it could of had something to do with the other food station." - Yes, does seem like it.

" I have 5 places for them to go sleep, and I have two feeding stations." - Great!!

" I hate to see them tore up, but maybe the best thing to do is let them fight it out." - Well, I think if they feel the other feeding station is safe it might make it a bit better as another option. Makes ure the tarp is tight (not blowing, etc).

" I hate to see that because if one of them gets hurt, it is hard to trap them." - I know. :(

" Most of the cat just come and eat and then go, and return later." - That is good.

" I even put more food out sometimes before I go to bed, so they don't have to feel another cat is taking there food." - That is good as long as other animals are both coming around and eating especially predators.

I am guessing the cats mainly want to eat at night and are not seen much during the day? If they do come around during the day can you feed them a bit more than?

Overall, it sounds like you are doing a great job. If you can make the tarp very secure so it doesn't blow and scare them that might be helpful. Eventually they will try that feeding station, figure out it is safe and then hopefully it will ease the tension (given the prior history).

Let's see if it works. Please let me know how it goes and keep up the great work!!

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had removed the tarp yesterday, this way I knew there wouldn't be a problem, the tarp was secure but the fact that it was different I think caused them to not want to go in and eat, so they they were all protecting the food in the one shelter for themslves. Everything went well last night. They came and went, the two were close in time, but not fighting. I really do think this new one wants to be friends because it would always wait for this other one, but this older one doesn't feel that way right now. They aren't doing to bad together. In the summer we do have other critters that come, but I don't work anymore so I stay up and watch tv late, so I can see what is coming most of he time and I scare the other critters away, until I know my cats have mostly eaten the food. I'm going to look for some pictures and send you so you know who and what I am talking about. Take care

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had removed the tarp yesterday, this way I knew there wouldn't be a problem, the tarp was secure but the fact that it was different I think caused them to not want to go in and eat, so they they were all protecting the food in the one shelter for themslves. Everything went well last night. They came and went, the two were close in time, but not fighting. I really do think this new one wants to be friends because it would always wait for this other one, but this older one doesn't feel that way right now. They aren't doing to bad together. In the summer we do have other critters that come, but I don't work anymore so I stay up and watch tv late, so I can see what is coming most of he time and I scare the other critters away, until I know my cats have mostly eaten the food. I'm going to look for some pictures and send you so you know who and what I am talking about. Take care
"I had removed the tarp yesterday, this way I knew there wouldn't be a problem" - Ok

"the tarp was secure but the fact that it was different I think caused them to not want to go in and eat" - Absolutely. Cats don;t like change in the best situations so in the wild where survival is of utmost importance it can really cause issues.

" so they they were all protecting the food in the one shelter for themslves." - Yes, agreed.

" Everything went well last night. They came and went, the two were close in time, but not fighting." - :yess: :hyper: :clap2: Awesome!!

"I really do think this new one wants to be friends because it would always wait for this other one, but this older one doesn't feel that way right now." - Ferals tend to learn diplomacy so if one wants to be friends it really helps. Cats are worried about physical safety, food availability, water availability. So as those fears diminish then it can happen. And the fact they are all fixed REALLY helps.

" They aren't doing to bad together." - Great

"In the summer we do have other critters that come, but I don't work anymore so I stay up and watch tv late, so I can see what is coming most of he time and I scare the other critters away, until I know my cats have mostly eaten the food." Great. Sometimes predators and other critters can cause some re-directed aggression. I am guessing the cat are hunting at night for food as well. Cats tend to like to eat multiple times a day.

"I'm going to look for some pictures and send you so you know who and what I am talking about. " - Great

"Take care" - You too. Sounds like you are doing everything right and a great job!!

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three cats at this moment, the white one is Jinx, (the new one), the gray and white is Patches, and the black and white is Oreo. I have two feeding stations. I made a L shaped wooden frame and covered it with canvas and every winter I put it in front of two openings to block the cold and wind. then I take another tarp and throw it over the top and bolt it down. I remove this in the summer. I made a little lay over house close by if they want to get in out of the rain and snow. It is deep and filled with straw, away from the two feeding stations but maybe to close by, like a stalking situation. Next year I will place it somewhere else. the bottom picture is a sleeping place filled with a silver blanket and straw. I made and its large enough for more than one cat also. Plus I have three more shelters close to my shed so the openings are facing underneath to block the wind. I ran heated bowls to both feeding stations. Every year I try to make things neater and better. I figured out a solution for the summer with the food and the ants. So I think they are living pretty good. Have a good day.

Attachments

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three cats at this moment, the white one is Jinx, (the new one), the gray and white is Patches, and the black and white is Oreo. I have two feeding stations. I made a L shaped wooden frame and covered it with canvas and every winter I put it in front of two openings to block the cold and wind. then I take another tarp and throw it over the top and bolt it down. I remove this in the summer. I made a little lay over house close by if they want to get in out of the rain and snow. It is deep and filled with straw, away from the two feeding stations but maybe to close by, like a stalking situation. Next year I will place it somewhere else. the bottom picture is a sleeping place filled with a silver blanket and straw. I made and its large enough for more than one cat also. Plus I have three more shelters close to my shed so the openings are facing underneath to block the wind. I ran heated bowls to both feeding stations. Every year I try to make things neater and better. I figured out a solution for the summer with the food and the ants. So I think they are living pretty good. Have a good day.
Beautiful cats!!!!

Wow, I would say you have done a fantastic job with the shelters. feeding stations. Yes, I would say they are living VERY well!!!

Great job!!

You too. Let me know how they are doing. I suspect it was just a blip and that a return to normal is either already here or will be soon.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your compliments. Every year I try to make thing better and nicer. We started from a cardboard box covered, and the food always frozen. Now I have heated bowls, shelters, and in the summer I have bowls i made up that I freeze. Alot of thinking and doing to get where we are today. Well tonight I happened to see out the window and I saw the gray cat slowly walking away and making a big circle. So I went to look to see and the white cat was there. They both ended up in my driveway and one slowly went around the other side of the fence and the other followed. So not sure what is going to happen. I really think they are going to fight. I just don't want them to tear each other up, and for one to feel he can't come and eat, for fear of the other one. Not sure how you would get these two cats to get along. Should shelters be far away from the feeding stations? It really takes them a long time to feel comfortable to use them. Where do cats go during the day, they are not around? I had 5-6 cats coming at a time once and no one fought. They ate and left and if hungry they came back. How many cats do you have? How are they all doing? I live between two plans of homes and I have to be careful the neighbors don't give me a hard time. Anyone above me can see everything I have in the back yard. I also feed the deer and the birds.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your compliments. Every year I try to make thing better and nicer. We started from a cardboard box covered, and the food always frozen. Now I have heated bowls, shelters, and in the summer I have bowls i made up that I freeze. Alot of thinking and doing to get where we are today. Well tonight I happened to see out the window and I saw the gray cat slowly walking away and making a big circle. So I went to look to see and the white cat was there. They both ended up in my driveway and one slowly went around the other side of the fence and the other followed. So not sure what is going to happen. I really think they are going to fight. I just don't want them to tear each other up, and for one to feel he can't come and eat, for fear of the other one. Not sure how you would get these two cats to get along. Should shelters be far away from the feeding stations? It really takes them a long time to feel comfortable to use them. Where do cats go during the day, they are not around? I had 5-6 cats coming at a time once and no one fought. They ate and left and if hungry they came back. How many cats do you have? How are they all doing? I live between two plans of homes and I have to be careful the neighbors don't give me a hard time. Anyone above me can see everything I have in the back yard. I also feed the deer and the birds.
Thank YOU for all you are doing to make lives better and save lives!!

Yes, you have done a great job to get to where you are today. Sounds like a great setup.

Was the movement like "slow motion"? Cats move extremely slowly to let the other cat know they don't mean harm and to avoid provoking an attack. So in of itself it isn't too worrying. Then the other cat tends to follow to see what the other cat is doing. My sense is all was fine. Of course, it can always escalate but it sounds like they are trying to avoid confrontation. Let's hope I am correct.

I know, we don't want a dangerous fight BUT typically they don't fight that badly unless it is a survival issue or a mating issue (which they are neutered). Now, it does happen where the new cat decides to move on which is sad but out of our control really.

I know, it is VERY hard emotionally but all we can do is our best. Having a colony is a challenge enough without the drama. But all we can do is our best and give them the best chance at food, water, shelter.

Well, I tend to do what I mentioned BUT it takes some are to not cause the new cats to run away. So it depends on how feral they are. If you move correctly and get a little lucky and they smell food it can work. But is it not easy. :(

I do have the shelters away from the feeding station to create space. Also, I try to have them where visual access is not great so another cat can eat without being seen.

Cats tend to sleep a lot during the day and then hunt/prowl at night. So I am sure they have found a good place to sleep that is safer.

Yes, it all depends on how much trust, respect they have between them. Being neutered/spayed is a great start. Then they have to work it out themselves. IF they feel confident they have enough food, water, and they are fairly diplomatic then they can be in a big colony. It just depends on cat personalities. :/

Right now I have 8 in my colony but am having predator issues. :( They are doing as well as can be given the difficult circumstances.

Yes, neighbors are always a challenge sadly. People don't realize that TNR actually helps the situation rather than makes it worse. I believe keeping as low a profile is best and then educate when you have to. But trying to be as "low profile" as possible is best.

Just make sure you don't attract predators when feeding.

Hang in there. I know emotionally it is hard as we want everyone to get along. But it is hard since it is out of our control to a large degree. I LOVE my ferals and WISH I could take them in or find them great homes but I am full inside and everyone is either full or allergic to cats. So the next best thing is to just try to make their lives as good as possible. It is not ideal but a well taken feral will live a better and longer life.

Keep up the great work and let me know if you continue to see them all. Good luck!!