Trying to find a decent dry cat food for weight control that doesn’t have fish.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can anyone suggest a good dry cat food for weight control that doesn’t contain fish but isn’t out of site price wise? I have several cats that should be losing weight, I feed all my indoor cats wet food mixed in with dry but most of them seem to rather eat just dry food. I’ve been leaving less dry food out at night.
ive looked at different brands on the catfooddb site but a lot seem to have fish or duck ingredients, also a lot of fillers that don’t seem very good…I’ve been feeding them Purina brand, what ever flavor is on sale.
ive tried Buffalo Blue for weight, cats really didn’t like it even when I mixed it with Purina dry, they would try to separate it when they ate.

thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't feed a weight loss food to try to get them to lose some weight. I would simply feed them less. Free feeding doesn't usually work though, if that's what you are doing, even if you put out less.

I used to have four cats, with one of them being quite pudgy. We free fed and tried using weight loss foods, including prescription weight loss foods. Nothing worked until we put them on scheduled meals of all wet food. It might still work to keep yours on dry food as long as you count calories, but it's calories that count, and wet food tends to be more filling, since it typically doesn't have as many fillers in it. With scheduled meals, you can keep track of how many calories you are feeding the ones who need to lose weight, then just make sure they don't get into any of the other cats' bowls. And remember you need to count any treats too.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can anyone suggest a good dry cat food for weight control that doesn’t contain fish but isn’t out of site price wise? I have several cats that should be losing weight, I feed all my indoor cats wet food mixed in with dry but most of them seem to rather eat just dry food. I’ve been leaving less dry food out at night.
ive looked at different brands on the catfooddb site but a lot seem to have fish or duck ingredients, also a lot of fillers that don’t seem very good…I’ve been feeding them Purina brand, what ever flavor is on sale.
ive tried Buffalo Blue for weight, cats really didn’t like it even when I mixed it with Purina dry, they would try to separate it when they ate.

thanks
We're in a similar situation. One of my cats was addicted to dry food and fish when we adopted her and it's always a struggle to find healthy food that she's willing to eat (we give her wet food, but she is very strong-willed!). She gained some weight last year after I switched her dry food to Open Farm (even though I adjusted the amount based on the calories). I have a list of dry foods we're going to try, most of them have fish but at least the fish is lower in the ingredients list and not a main protein. We've only tried Farmina N&D Neutered Quail and Pumpkin so far and she likes it a lot. We're going to try the Solid Gold or Natural Balance next. I hope one of these can work for you, best of luck!!

Here is our list of foods to try:
Farmina N&D Neutered Quail and Pumpkin
Farmina N&D Neutered Chicken and Pomegranate
Solid Gold Winged Tiger Quail & Pumpkin
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Indoor Grain Free Turkey & Chickpea (no fish!)
Rawz Dehydrated Chicken, Turkey & Chicken recipe (no fish!)
Instinct Raw Boost Indoor Grain Free Rabbit