Trying to figure out water drinking behavior

alewifebp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this is more of a behavior question than it is nutrition. When he figures it out, he'll drink. But it's almost like he doesn't know how to drink water.

Obviously started with just leaving a water bowl out when I got him, and realized he wasn't really drinking much, and transitioned to as much of a wet food diet as possible. He's a very picky eater too, but that's another story. I had a Drinkwell from a while ago that a previous cat of mine never got in to, and he seemed to kind of get it. But he tried knocking that over, and doesn't really drink, but paws at it. So I bought one of those Catit flower fountain types, and he seemed to like that for a while, until he started to break that apart and knock it over.

Any other type of waterer to try that he might use? I suspect he's trying to kind of knock it over the get the water out. Since he was in a shelter, maybe a gerbil style feeder? He does try to drink from the faucet.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
and realized he wasn't really drinking much, and transitioned to as much of a wet food diet as possible.
Not all cats will drink from water fountain, bowls or taps.
Most cats that are solely on wet food probably will not feel that dehydrated as wet food keeps them hydrated but sone cats will still drink water from other forms.

My boy is entirely on wet for and he does not drink water from a bowl and he'll likely place his paws in it and scoop out he water as he finds it amusing and also he don't drink from the tap as he only did it once or twice when he was a kitten.

He only drinks the gravy from his food that's all and he gets all the moisture from it and the wet food.

So many you can try different ways including the gerbil style water bottle. If he doesn't drink from any of those, maybe he is hydrated enough.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does try to drink from the faucet.
It sounds like that's your answer, right there! :)

Casper drinks from the bathtub faucet.
It started to drip a little bit and I was planning to fix it. (A ten minute job. Right?) When we noticed that Casper was drinking from the faucet I decided to let it drip so he can drink.

Now, whenever we're in bed and Casper crawls up to snuggle in bed and he's got a wet head, we know right where he's been! ;)

Something to note... Cats don't necessarily get water from the same place where they get food.

Think about a cat living in the wild. It might catch a mouse and eat it but it won't likely be near water. In order to drink, a cat will have to find a separate source of clean water.

Therefore, having the water bowl next to the food bowl isn't something a cat would normally see. To humans it makes sense but not to a cat. It might help your situation if you tried putting the water bowl in a different place.

Casper has two watering places around the house, beside the bathroom faucet.
He has a glass fish bowl on top of a table, next to a window. He's also got a watering cat on the shelf underneath the plant stand near the patio door. He alternates between his three watering holes. There isn't a water bowl in the kitchen, near his food.

It took us some observation and experimentation to figure out where Casper liked to get his drinks but, now that his water containers are spots that he likes he drinks a lot more often.

I suggest experimenting to see what your cat likes best. :)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats that while they do drink out of the water bowl they also like to play with the water and watch it move or dip their paw and take a drink like that. Hopefully you cat is getting enough fluids.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats used to play in the water bowl and move it around to make it slosh water out. Tired of the mess and knowing they love to drink from the faucets, I got this water fountain. They still play with the water but they can't make a mess anymore.
Screenshot_20201222-090453_Chewy.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alewifebp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do keep the water fountain in a different place. The thing is, even when I do leave the tap running, he can't seem to figure it out, and ends up sneezing more than he drinks.

I've seen that water fountain pictured above and it looks kind of like what he would want. But, does it have a steady base? I almost need something I can mount to the floor given how much he likes to knock it over.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do keep the water fountain in a different place. The thing is, even when I do leave the tap running, he can't seem to figure it out, and ends up sneezing more than he drinks.

I've seen that water fountain pictured above and it looks kind of like what he would want. But, does it have a steady base? I almost need something I can mount to the floor given how much he likes to knock it over.
Yes, it has a steady base. My Boone who was notorious for moving his water bowl all over the place hasn't touched this one at all.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So this is more of a behavior question than it is nutrition. When he figures it out, he'll drink. But it's almost like he doesn't know how to drink water.

Obviously started with just leaving a water bowl out when I got him, and realized he wasn't really drinking much, and transitioned to as much of a wet food diet as possible. He's a very picky eater too, but that's another story. I had a Drinkwell from a while ago that a previous cat of mine never got in to, and he seemed to kind of get it. But he tried knocking that over, and doesn't really drink, but paws at it. So I bought one of those Catit flower fountain types, and he seemed to like that for a while, until he started to break that apart and knock it over.

Any other type of waterer to try that he might use? I suspect he's trying to kind of knock it over the get the water out. Since he was in a shelter, maybe a gerbil style feeder? He does try to drink from the faucet.
My cats like the elevated ceramic bowls I got on chewy. They drink the most from the one in my living room. Probably because that's where they're mostly at
20190813_153936.jpg

MissViv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my cats LOVE the water fountain and drink a lot of water from it. I have had the Parner fountain for about 3 years with no problems. We clean it weekly and change the filter monthly. But, when it dies I am going to replace it with a ceramic one, more costly but better for kitties.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like the elevated ceramic bowls I got on chewy. They drink the most from the one in my living room. Probably because that's where they're mostly atView attachment 364063
I was looking at those the other day. I was looking for a food bowl that helps prevent messes because Boone has a tendency to scoop the dry food out of the bowl when eating.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats LOVE the water fountain and drink a lot of water from it. I have had the Parner fountain for about 3 years with no problems. We clean it weekly and change the filter monthly. But, when it dies I am going to replace it with a ceramic one, more costly but better for kitties.
Mine love their fountain too. I had a regular water bowl out in case they didn't take to it but they always drank from the fountain so I took the other bowl away. It does sound like a dog lapping up water when they drink though because they are interrupting the flow of water but otherwise it is really quiet.

MissViv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine love their fountain too. I had a regular water bowl out in case they didn't take to it but they always drank from the fountain so I took the other bowl away. It does sound like a dog lapping up water when they drink though because they are interrupting the flow of water but otherwise it is really quiet.
I use the Neater Feeder for dry food and it works great. Prevents lots of messes.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I have purchased and returned a variety of fountians. Gypsy just won't have anything to do with them. She gets wet food and also has a Corelle bowl she drinks from. It's on the bathroom sink and we dump and refill it for her several times a day. After observing her drink out of a small Tupperware pitcher I had sitting out I leave it filled on the kitchen counter overnight.