Trying to figure out if this cat is feral or not

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenofWinter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I’ve noticed that Minnie is particularly aggressive towards my male cat, Pinky. He attacked her a few times when she was still living outside. He would slip out when I tried to feed her and their would be a huge fight. I guess she still remembers him. Whenever she sees him through the gate, she will hiss and growl at him. Since he was receiving thyroid treatment and was away from the house for a few days, we used the opportunity to remove the gate and leave the door to the basement open all day and night to see if she would explore a little. We made some progress, but not as much as I’d like. She is very attached to me so she only seems to come up the steps when I’m around. She likes my dog Duke so she followed him into the living room a few times. But she quickly returns to the steps. She doesn’t really like my female cat, Cookie. She’s not aggressive around her, she’s just scared and will immediately run to the steps when she sees her. Since Pinky returned today, we put the gate back. We fed them both near each other to see how they would react. They were ok.
B20548C1-0133-4262-91A9-B27A74AB8B36.jpeg

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you my experience with adding a cat, and it was not with my feral. I used to have an orange tabby male and for some insane reason decided he needed a friend. So I got a black cat from the SPCA. She spent the first month or month and a half in my room with the door shut. Reuben, my original one, was not happy. I kept them apart.Then I put a baby gate up at my room door for about a week and he would sit on the other side, glaring at her. Finally I removed the gate, she came down, and he chased her back upstairs in a rage. She ran back to her safe spot, in my room under my bed. She spent a lot of time there for the next few months. Over time, he let her come down for longer periods, but it took a long time of letting them work it out and cost me a shredded box spring, where he would claw when she was under the bed. He ended up being okay with her most of the time, but it took quite a while. He was a dominant cat, so tolerated her as long as she toed the line with him. Once in a while she would swat back at him, which always took him by surprise, but I think helped him leave her alone.

If they are eating while seeing and sensing each other through the gate, I think that is huge. It is Pinky's territory she's in now, so you'll have to let him get used to the idea and accept her. It will probably take a while, like mine did, but eventually they will work something out. She's also still processing being an indoor cat, which is adding to her adjustment. I think the longer you keep them separated but seeing each other, the better. Someone else with more experience with this, though, may have better insight.

QueenofWinter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Minnie still stays in the basement all of the time. And she still hisses at my other cats and runs away from them whenever they go down to visit her. We recently cleaned out our basement and she found our couches and that’s where she sleeps now. We went down to see her and this is what we found. So it’s a start.
02AECD06-1AF9-41C2-9E42-6F62C2248BC8.jpeg

QueenofWinter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Sorry for the very late update. This will probably be my last post for awhile. Just wanted to let you all know that Minnie is doing wonderfully and has adjusted very well to our household. She finally left the basement and spends most of her time in the living room with us. She still doesn’t like my two other cats, and will swat at them when they go by, but I hope she’ll treat them better with time. She’s not violent towards them. She seems almost playful and will roll on her back often to get their attention. She’s very nervous around strangers and will retreat to the basement if I’m not around. But she sleeps in the living room near me. She loves my dog, Duke, and will play with him occasionally. She’s eating well and using her litter box. She gives me love bites which I’m trying to discourage because they can be a bit jarring. But, for the most part, everything is well.

I want to thank you all for the wonderful advice you have given me in regards to Minnie. I couldn’t have brought her into my home with your support and guidance. :)

. IMG_20201231_013745.jpg