Trying to decide if it is time to let go

JamesInWisconsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our orange tabby, Tabasco, turned 20 last month. She's outlived her sister by more than 3 years now. But she has been low-weight for quite some time and a few weeks ago I discovered that she has a large tumor near her vulva. We know that we don't want to try to put her through any sort of procedure or chemotherapy, so we've been focused on quality of life. She has been taking a pain pill the vet prescribed.

I don't want to prolong her life if it is mainly suffering, but I'm still just not completely sure it is time. She has an appetite, grooms herself regularly, loves to come lay in her bed next to me at my computer while I am working. She isn't having accidents outside the litter box. Her eyes look okay. Other than the fact that she mostly sleeps and doesn't come out of the basement (because of other pets), she seems to be holding on quite well. She's very affectionate with me and with other family members when we spend time with her.

On the other hand... although she eventually rests comfortably, a lot of time she is curled up with her eyes closed and is breathing hard. She struggles sometimes to jump up onto things, her back legs aren't what she thinks they are. And this tumor is... ugh. Big and red/pink and nasty. I'm afraid it has grown in the last few weeks. I worry when she licks at it that she's going to rub it raw and get infected. I bought some spray antiseptic and have been trying to spray it every day.

Is the tumor the bottom line here? Or am I okay to keep looking at other factors and wait for something else to start to diminish? I've never had to put an animal down before, so I just don't feel like I have a good handle on it at all.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is so sad :alright:...I also hate when animals have to be put down...They can't remove the tumor?? She honestly seems pretty healthy for her age...the inability to jump as well as before is normal and as she is older she will sleep a lot...Honestly, I don't know enough about tumors in cats to offer any advice on preventing it from getting raw...If she is not in pain, I think she might be ok... Good luck!! :goodluck:

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are in the same gray area that I was in with one of my favorite black cats, Granada. Only her tumor was growing out of the ear area. As long as she was doing all that you describe Tabasco as doing, I kept her with me. She spent most of her time sleeping on the bed but was still responsive and still herself. The turning point was that the tumor finally did get nasty....red and swollen and breaking open. I tried, with the help of the vet to care for it, but finally it was just not right to prolong her life. The vet was even shocked when I brought Granada in for the last time at how much it has grown. For me, the deciding question was the management of the tumor. If the tumor on Tabasco is still in one piece at this time, I think that you have to watch it for further degradation.

Granada was almost 18...my longest lived pet of all...and the vet was not at all optimistic that she would survive any surgeries or treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JamesInWisconsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are putting her down today. It was a tough decision but since we made it I have been more and more convinced it is the right one. It's going to be tough, and I've never had to do it before... but it's what is best for her. I don't want her to suffer anymore.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry about this. It is the bravest and hardest thing to do for a pet. I was thinking about your post about Tabasco, and about Granada and if I would have done anything differently and I do think that I waited a little too long. You are making the right decision for your friend.