Trying to capture a hurt pidgeon

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well over the years we have helped save many different types of animals in our backyard, and the latest is a pidgeon who can fly just fine but has issues with it's legs, when it eats it lays down on it's stomach as it can't stand. This is going to be awfully difficult to get to take to the wildlife rehab center, as soon as you get within 12-15 feet it takes off. I'd like to at least try to get it and see if they can help it, years ago we took one in with a broken wing and they rehabbed and released it, but I don't know what they can do for this one.

Any ideas how to get it?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll bet that the wildlife rehab center could help you..........with suggestions, and perhaps even more.

You won't know unless you ask.

I'll be rooting for you !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll bet that the wildlife rehab center could help you..........with suggestions, and perhaps even more.

You won't know unless you ask.

I'll be rooting for you !
I called them this morning but the woman had no ideas. I then called a woman who works for another wildlife place that I have worked with in the past and the only thing she could think of was to try to eliminate all of the bird seed on the ground and put it only under a box with a stick holding it up with a rope attached so if it went under there I could pull the rope and the box would come down and trap it but I don't see how that is going to work, we have so much seed out there and so many other animals that visit the chance of just that one going under the box by itself is very low!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK - Google exactly this: "trapping a pigeon". Lots of suggestions there.

Second thought: it seems that 'birdseed' may not be your friend in this endeavour. Just watch:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update that we never were able to catch this pigeon but we see him or her out there eating and we notice that it is in somewhat better condition than before, it seems to not have to lay down quite as much, seems like it is getting more strength in the leg area, so hopefully it was just an injury that is slowly healing. We saw it eating this morning and the other pigeons let it alone, none pecked at it or tried to chase it, so hopefully with more time it will get even better, thank God!