Try Redbarn Naturals Canned Pate!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t see this one being mentioned as often as other brands but I just want to highlight it for some of you who may be looking for canned to feed your cats. I specifically recommend their Turkey and Chicken pate. Another great thing is that a 5.5oz case of these are usually under $40 at chewy!

Turkey Pate: 57% protein, 37% fat, 1.54% phosphorus DMB (not too high)
Chicken Pate: 51% protein, 27% fat, 12% carb (could be better but still reasonable), 1.32% Phosphorus DMB (pretty good I say)!

I personally feed the turkey one which my cats enjoy but thinking of replacing Dr. Elsey’s chicken Pate with the Redbarn chicken because Dr. Elsey’s chicken has been having quality issues from what I’ve seen.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I occasionally feed the lamb flavor, my cats like it a lot, but they have peas :( especially chicken flavor seems to have much more of it than other flavors. But I’ve just checked that Turkey has none, we’ll try it, thanks!

Edit: they seem to use BPA lined cans as per Chewy response on their page, something to be aware of

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I occasionally feed the lamb flavor, my cats like it a lot, but they have peas :( especially chicken flavor seems to have much more of it than other flavors. But I’ve just checked that Turkey has none, we’ll try it, thanks!

Edit: they seem to use BPA lined cans as per Chewy response on their page, something to be aware of
Ah. Well I'm sure I get a lot more BPA in my system than they do lol. Good to know about the peas. I like to take those out! And yeah the Turkey is pretty solid. For some reason the Turkey ingredients are higher quality than the chicken. You'd think they would be similar.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interestingly, their chicken Stew formula has no peas and decent ingredients; it could be a great alternative for gravy lovers, but I noticed people complaining that it seems very watery since they changed the formula (it seems to me they removed potato starch). So yeah, healthy gravy doesn’t seem to be possible :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a witch She's a witch . You're right the chicken stew does looks good! It's lower calorie since it's not pate (150s vs 170s). But it seems like a decent option. I don't think my cats will mind the watery texture...that's how I feed them anyway lol. Plus I have never dared to give them a true gravy food.

Edit: Hmm seems like there's not much food in the cans anymore. Not good!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a few cans of the lamb left. I'm waiting for my crew to forget that they decided they didn't like it anymore. I really need to try the turkey flavor!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The lamb pate is Sylvie's current dinner mainstay. Whatever peas are in it don't seem to bother her, fortunately. I think it's a high-quality food for a reasonable price, provided your cats can tolerate all the ingredients.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaaand she's gone off it, as of today. I dished it out for dinner and it just sat there. Then Sylvie started complaining in a tone that suggested it was simply unacceptable. I thought perhaps something was wrong with that particular can, so I sniffed what was still in it and agreed it smelled "off" somehow. I opened a fresh can, sniffed that one and still thought it wasn't quite right. It's been a long time since I ate lamb, but I remember what it should smell like, and this isn't it. It reminds me of when I bought a brand of cat food that sounded good but had a distinctly vitamin-y smell.

Fortunately, I had a couple of random cans of PetGuard food in the cupboard. I dished out the Savory Seafood Dinner and Sylvie polished off more than half of it. So it seems her appetite is fine, which is reassuring.

I'm disappointed to have to drop this one out of the current rotation, as it was that rare cat food that ticked most of the boxes for taste and nutrition and was also budget-friendly.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the record, there is no safety issue that I am aware of. I just feel that I need to listen to what my cat is telling me and switch to a food that she finds acceptable.