Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Trump's Deal With North Korea

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by Katie M, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Katie M

Katie M Thread Starter TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    ArchyCat purraised this.

2. xlpooper

xlpooper TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    Oh, for Heaven sake's, we haven't betrayed South Korea, you do know that no joint military U.S. & S.K. are even scheduled until next Spring I'm sure.

di and bob purraised this.

3. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    He said the military exercises would be stopped, and eventually our military presence in South Korea would end. That's precisely what North Korea wants. The South will be more vulnerable to a Northern attack.

4. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    That will probably destabilize relations with Japan too :/. Japan is not allowed to have an offensive military force, and is considered too much of a threat to the US to be allowed to have one. So the US protects them from NK, and part of that is having US military bases in SK. If the US doesn't provide sufficient protection, Japan will want to have their own military, which. . .well, idk what Trump would do. Perhaps he doesn't consider Japan a threat to the US anymore.

Does he want to close all overseas military bases? There's a reason the US wants to have a presence in a lot of different countries, and they've worked hard to make it happen. It has nothing to do with "bringing them home". They aren't deployed; they live and work there.

5. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Yes, exactly as I expected. Two hogs in a diplomatic blanket.

6. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    That would never happen unless and until:
    North Korea's nuclear capability is gone
    Inspectors are allowed to go in, wherever they want to, to inspect.
    You can be assured it won't be like last time.
    Trump to 'Hannity': Kim Jong Un to start denuclearization 'virtually immediately'
    If N.K. reneges I'm sure the military exercises that were scheduled for next Spring will be re-scheduled.

I'm still cautiously optimistic but don't trust rocket man at all. At the very least President Trump is trying and that is far more than any of his predecessor's (in both parties) ever did. And look what was done to President Clinton's administration by rocket man's father back in the 1990's. And all President George W. Bush did, is make it worse.

7. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    President Trump is not bring any troops home from Japan or South Korea.

8. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    Then why did he say he wants to do just that?

I was born overseas-the army was my childhood. I'm sorry, but we shouldn't be withdrawing anybody.

9. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    He isn't withdrawing any troops from Japan and S.K. Perhaps you should put all of it into context.

10. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    I agree, speaking from experience. Our presence is vital.

11. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    This is from the article-

"Trump also indicated that he’d like to eventually close down US military bases in South Korea. 'We have 32,000 soldiers in South Korea. I would like to be able to bring them back home. That’s not part of the equation. At some point, I hope it would be,' he said."

No president talks like that.

12. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    What context? Please explain.

13. gareth

gareth TCS Member Super Cat

Dec 19, 2003
    UK
    Perhaps you should too. It's starting to be reported that didn't inform South Korea about this in advance. way to alienate yet another ally...

You also don't appear to know much about military exercises. They are not a light switch you can turn off and on. Military exercises take months to plan and organise, and millions of dollars either way. If he is cancelling exercises for later in the year, he will need to inform the military now so they can start re-planning. Once they are cancelled they are cancelled for some time, you can't just switch them back on. If he cancels at the last minute it would put the military in disarray and cost the UX taxpayer millions of dollars.

14. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South

15. vyger

vyger TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 24, 2017
    Northeast Montana
    So to put it in real simple terms this was a discussion between the hit man NK and the bodyguard US with the bodyguard agreeing to leave the house and go away as long as the hit man stops talking about blowing up the house.

Everybody keeps missing the point that the US is included in the denuclearizeation. NK is free to invade and overrun SK and finish the job they started as long as they don't use nukes, which don't really work for them anyway. They don't want to nuke it, they want to own it and enslave it. So essentially Trump is saying sure, why not? As long as they don't involve him.

16. Katie M

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    Precisely what I mean by betrayal.

17. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    Just because it's "being reported" doesn't mean it's true.
    And the exercises weren't scheduled until next year.

I know what it took to mobilize 450,000 U.S. troops and ALL their equipment during Desert Storm, 6 months, so I'm not to worried about troops and equipment that is already IN Korea and Japan not having enough time to get ready for military exercises next spring if rocket man reneges.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

18. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    Ummm, America won't be giving up our nukes and we are NOT included in the denuclearization. Not sure where that came from but it isn't true.

South Korea has its' own military plus they have America and allies.

19. xlpooper

Mar 8, 2007
    South
    I'm sure you can figure it out.

20. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I have no idea why you'd tell me to look at the context and then refuse to say what context, but OK. As you wish.

He says he wants to close US military bases and "bring the soldiers home". I'm saying, they ARE home, because that's where they live and work. It used to be considered important for the US to have overseas military bases in as many countries as possible, I'm not sure if something changed or if Trump simply doesn't understand that.