True testament to learned behaviors

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know, when I went on my thanksgiving trip I bought that automatic pet feeder from petco which I was wary about continuing to use because I preferred giving my cats their food myself-I was afraid they wouldn't come to the door like they did when I got home from work because I thought they did that because they associated it with being fed-same with sleeping alongside me and waking up in the morning (Prince would automatically jump off the bed and run to the kitchen, ready to be fed)

Well I actually kinda like the feeder because I have it programmed. Prince and Nikita still sleep with me and often in the morning they leave the bed once they see me starting to stir and move my arms (usually I stretch and then move the covers off me), that's when they hop off the bed; but they don't run to the kitchen anymore. Then the other day I noticed Nikita sidling up to the feeder-I was watching tv and not paying attention to the time-well right at the time I have set, the food popped out. She immediately went to eating. So they have become accustomed to that thing coming out, and it makes noise when it does which I just now realized resembles that old animal psych test where the dog understands they're getting fed when the bell rings....and of course whenever I get home from work, both of them are sitting at the front door like they always have.

Adding the pet feeder didn't change much, but I notice that they have definitely learned when that thing is about to pop out their food. At least Nikita has; but Prince is the glutton cat so he probably eats it more throughout the day when it pops out. That's what I was worried about too, overfeeding, but so far it seems nothing has changed regarding that. Still, it is so fascinating to see Nikita walking up and sitting next to the feeder just a couple minutes before it's programmed to shoot out the food. The other day it looked more like she was dozing beside it and when it popped out the food, her head jumped up as if she were saying "Oh, finally!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should also add that there's a usual time that I go to bed normally. When this time arrives and I'm still awake, I'll notice Prince will hop onto his favorite spot on the bed and curl up. Then, after a while, he'll stare at me as if expectant like to say "Hello Dad, it's time to go to bed." So if ever there was any doubt-which I never have-animals certainly do learn set routines extremely well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats definitely learn and set routines, and quite quickly in your case. :)

Glad your feeder is working out, and that nothing has changed in regards to their affections toward you. :redheartpump:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they definitely learn set routines my boy knows breakfast and dinner. And if I don't go to bed at my usual time he meows until I move. Good to hear the feeder is working well.