gert452000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have asked this question before and wrote down all the info but now that it the season I can't find it . I need to ask for it again, sorry
We have outside cats that have claimed us as theirs. We would like to use a spray or powder for ticks and fleas. We don't feel we can use collars because they are out in the woods and we are afraid that the cllar could get caught on a brach.
Any help you can give is appreciated.
Thank you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your best bet is to stay far away from sprays and powders and use a spot on flea repellent- advantage or frontline. Also depending on if these are cats or kittens, you will have to use caution for younger kittens. Revolution makes spot on flea repellent strictly for kittens and gives the ages to apply it. Remember that using the sprays, powders and spot-on that you are adding poison to these cats. There have been deaths caused for this reason from store-bought products like Hartz Flea powder. And you are right, flea collars on outside in the woods kittens or cats is a bad idea. Call your vet and tell him what you are up against and I am sure he will be happy to advise you on the right way to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gert452000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your help. I will call the Ve in the morning and see what he has to say. I will post his advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gert452000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, It's me again. I called the Vet and was told that Frontline is the BEST. But it is also the most expensive. The price for 6 applications is $60.00. It needs to be applied once a month. We have six outside cats to do this to. And abou 3 months left in tick season. Unforunately, this is to expensive for us to even consider. Any other ideas? The vet agreed with you that Hartz is too toxic.
Would brushing help?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what I do. I buy one tube of the full strength advantage for dogs and following this website, I use it on my cats. I have been doing this for 2 years with great results. Here is the link

Advantage for muti cat homes

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to say, please NEVER use flea collars. One year we couldn't afford the Advantage drops and we bought a Hartz flea collar for Socks. She was about two years old at the time. Anyway, because we were cheap, she almost died. She had a horrible reaction to the collar after only a couple of hours after wearing it, and her fur and skin just flaked off after we removed the collar. She was swollen and she had what seemed like hives. We took her to the vet and he wasn't sure she was going to make it. She lost a good portion of her fur and she was just covered in scabs. I know it seems you're not going to use them, I just wanted to state that, because knowing what I know, I'd feel horrible if anyone else's furbabes got as sick as mine did.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy a flea collar and cut it up in small pieces put the pieces in a plastic bag and put a few pieces in my vacuum bag. Works to kill the fleas the machine sucks up.

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a GREAT idea. I am going to do the same thing. Thanks for that tip. I also liked the link for the flea medicine - I have 8 to do now......