Trouble With Getting Kitten Onto Dry Food

SBHC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys, I was hoping I could get some help.
About a week ago I found a kitten on a walk in the woods, she's doing very good now and has already seen a vet, all she needs is to be tested for feline leukemia which will be done later this week.

She's approaching 6 weeks old this week, and right now I've been giving her canned foods such as Wellness Core for kittens, Solid Gold, Royal Canin and Merricks, although the favorite seems to be Wellness Core. I'd like to add some dry food into her diet since that way I wouldn't have to worry about her getting hungry while I'm at work and my roommate being at work as well, we're double teaming it at the moment.

I've tried Whole Hearted, she didn't like it, so I got a bag of Farmina N&D for kittens, she loved it at first and was going down on it but it seems like she didn't touch it after I left for work, it almost seems like it might hurt to chew on for her, because after mixing a bit of wet food into it she wouldn't chew the kibbles. After seeing that I decided to go back to canned food until we can get her on dry since I've heard about the dangers of leaving wet and dry food mixed in.

What suggestions can you kitten pros give me?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try Purina kitten chow or royal Canin Mother Cat and Baby. Both offer tiny pieces that are just right for kittens! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SBHC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I may try the Royal Canin one, I thought N&D would be good because their kibble is so tiny, I tried the dried Wellness Core for kittens, the same happened, she ate a few kibble on its own, and a bit in the wet, but now she spits out the kibble and licks up the wet. I noticed she meows too when eating kibble mixed with wet. Could it be that it hurts to eat dry at her age?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Possibly it hurts?
You can leave wet food out for several hours for instance I leave canned food out overnight. If you're in a really hot area you could look into either a feeder with an ice pack underneath it, or even possibly freeze portions of her food and let it thaw throughout the day.
Bless your heart for taking in the little waif, and for working to find ways to feed her as much as she'll eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SBHC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try keeping the food cold somehow, our AC is broken so it can get up to 84C, but we make sure to turn on the small room ACs to help cool down the house.
If it's currently hurting her to chew at 6 weeks, what age would you suggest trying to introduce dry again?

And thanks, I'm trying my best to keep her happy and healthy, when we first found her she was bony, now she's got some meat on her and has gained half her weight in 5 days. Currently at 1.5 lbs. :) She was just 1 lbs when we found her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Youre fantastic!
Possibly try some kibble again at 4 months or so? See how she does then.