Trouble walking after surgery

LexiRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got surgery yesterday evening and now is having trouble with her back legs when walking. She got the surgery to remove some of her teeth that were rotting from previous neglect in her last home. She was under anesthesia for slightly under two hours. Does anyone know what could be wrong? At first I thought it was just from a lack of use but it hasn't faded any since she got home.

kateallen

Minister of Meow
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How is she after 24 hours? Maybe she is still adjusting from the anesthesia. If this still occurs after 24 hours, you should contact your veterinarian.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet give you any antibiotics or pain killers, e.g. Buprenex? If so, it's possible this could be contributing to her unsteadiness when walking. For peace of mind why not call your vet and explain her symptoms. I think this would help alleviate your worry and concern. And please keep us updated on how she's doing. Fingers crossed she'll be okay. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LexiRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet did send her home with some painkillers. She seems to be a bit more steady with her walking and jumping compared to a few hours ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LexiRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's making improvements. Eating and drinking has helped a lot.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update and all around good news. :thumbsup: It sounds like you just need to give it time for the painkillers to wear off.

katkat39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you please let me know how your cat is doing? My cat just her some teeth taken out and was put under and now that she's home is like she can barley walk. Like her back hips hurt.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K katkat39 - the OP hasn't been active on this site since May 2021, so you are not likely to get a response. I would advise you to do the same things they were advised to do - and, then give it a day or so, especially if she was put on pain meds. Your cat could also be a bit achy from being cooped up while she was at the vets, even more so a possibility if she is older.

debrajgraves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is experiencing the same thing. We're almost 48 hours after surgery and he won't stand or walk! I feel so horrible! And pray that this is not permanent. He otherwise was very strong and mobile. There is no walking or jumping now. It's horrible and heartbreaking.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kind of surgery? Is your cat on pain meds that might be attributing to the walking/standing issue? Have you called the vet to tell them what is going on?

debrajgraves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. It was dental surgery. He had a broken fang that needed care. The surgery was on Thursday and I took him back to the doctor yesterday. They gave him a dose of prednisone and some fluids. He seemed more perky after that but still limited movement. He's on his 2nd helping of breakfast now. So I'm hoping that after he rests a bit we'll see some improvement.