Trouble litter training three-legged kitten

flyingbuttercups

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten who is around 4 months old with only three legs. One of his legs had to be amputated because it got caught around the umblical cord when the mpther gave birth.
All of them were trained to litter once they were 4 weeks old, but this special kitten seems to have trouble littering in a litter box and just poops and pees around the house.
My family and I decided to cage him with a separate litter box, complimenting him pets after he did his business there. But he still poops around when we released him after.
I just don't know why he doesn't want to poop in the litter box as the others does. Is it because he's uncomfortable because of his leg? I don't know what to do anymore. Caging is the last resort as we usually let my cats roam freely indoors.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi flyingbuttercups flyingbuttercups Welcome to TCS.

Does the kitten seem to know that he is peeing or pooping? Does he squat down or scratch the floor, or does it look like an involuntary bowel/bladder movement?

As he lost a leg at such a young age he may have some kind of nerve damage. Has the vet checked him over since he had his initial surgery?

It could be a behavioral problem caused by him having trouble balancing, but I think you should get him checked over by a vet to rule out nerve damage first of all. Which leg did he lose? Front or rear?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flyingbuttercups

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi flyingbuttercups flyingbuttercups Welcome to TCS.

Does the kitten seem to know that he is peeing or pooping? Does he squat down or scratch the floor, or does it look like an involuntary bowel/bladder movement?

As he lost a leg at such a young age he may have some kind of nerve damage. Has the vet checked him over since he had his initial surgery?

It could be a behavioral problem caused by him having trouble balancing, but I think you should get him checked over by a vet to rule out nerve damage first of all. Which leg did he lose? Front or rear?
Yes, he knows he is peeing/pooping because and I can see him scratching the floor before I pick him up as I run and put him in the cage.

I haven't brought him to the vet since and they didn't say anything too. They just gave some iodine solution to reduce the swelling of the amputated leg and prevent infection. What does nerve damage actually implicate?

And he lost his rear leg.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What does nerve damage actually implicate?
Nerve damage can cause either partial or full incontinence. Either the cat can't control his bowels and bladder at all, or he finds it very difficult to "hold on" until he gets to his litter box. How's his tail? Can he lift it up and move it around as normal?

Losing a rear leg is probably making it difficult for him to balance. What kind of litter boxes do you have? A low sided litter box would be easiest for him to use. You could also try putting some puppy pee pads down and see if he will use those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flyingbuttercups

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How's his tail? Can he lift it up and move it around as normal?
Yes, his tail is normal.

What kind of litter boxes do you have? A low sided litter box would be easiest for him to use. You could also try putting some puppy pee pads down and see if he will use those.
Seeing as he has no trouble jumping up to a sofa, I don't see any trouble for him to jump up a tall sided litter box too. I'll try see if I can buy pee pads and try them.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten attract and low sided litter boxes. Also depth of litter is important he might be getting uncomfortable when squatting. Not sure how many other cats you have? But other cats can resource guard to. Check out Pam johnson bennets website for info with litterbox issues :)