'Tripping'

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of our rescues has started, as we call it, 'tripping' and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it.  It started after a particularly good batch of catnip where she'd run around in spurts.  Nothing unusual about that, but it's how she ran and the fact that it's continued the next day makes it seem really bizarre.  She runs as if her tail is chasing her and she can't lift her bum too high.  She doesn't drag her bum (not like a cat with worms) but kind of shuffles her back feet really quickly and twitches her back/tail.  Almost like the reverse of a cat in heat, head up, bum down, back feet shuffling as she runs, and tail flat twitching/wiggling like a snake.  She'll then run outside, do a lap of the building, come back and do it some more.

Is she just showing excitement in a very strange way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been researching this and it's pretty clear - she has all the symptoms of FHS.  I feel a bit bad that I was laughing so hard at it but it's absolutely adorable.

Her episodes seem to be triggered by happiness/excitement.  Catnip, Alpha Kitty (the wife) coming home, etc. all seem to be triggers.  It makes me wonder if there's something about a dopamine flood that triggers some neurological response.  Too bad there's so little known about FHS.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been researching this and it's pretty clear - she has all the symptoms of FHS.  I feel a bit bad that I was laughing so hard at it but it's absolutely adorable.

Her episodes seem to be triggered by happiness/excitement.  Catnip, Alpha Kitty (the wife) coming home, etc. all seem to be triggers.  It makes me wonder if there's something about a dopamine flood that triggers some neurological response.  Too bad there's so little known about FHS.
I would guess this too.