Trimming My Cat's Claws

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the vet tech do it for me because I have shaky hands. She thought I could use toe nail clippers. Any other ideas? I was going to buy some but I saw a variety of kinds

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have a clipper that is for cats (or small animals) and my boy is very smart and suspicious if I hold anything strange in my hand while I approach him.

Now I use a normal human nail clipper with good quality stainless steel blades which I can hide in my palm. Also it is easier to rotate the angle and not so cumbersome.

But usually, I'll cut his claws while he's drowsy and sleepy. And if I can't finish all of them in one go, I'll continue clipping the rest the next day.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've found the scissor-type clippers like Furballsmom Furballsmom linked to the easiest to use, because you don't have to actually put the claw into them. The ones I have are meant for cats, not reptiles. I don't know whether there would be a difference in size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found the scissor-type clippers like Furballsmom Furballsmom linked to the easiest to use, because you don't have to actually put the claw into them. The ones I have are meant for cats, not reptiles. I don't know whether there would be a difference in size.
The ones by Petco or chewy?