Tried Okocat, feline pine, crystal, and clay

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not very happy with either of them for 2 cats.

Clay, works good, but heavy. I might have to suck it up and stick with this.

Crystal, less scooping, dusty, doesn't last the advertised "months" even when stirring a couple times a day.

Feline pine, doesn't track when solid, tracks a lot when it breaks down into dust.

Okocat pellets, doesn't track when solid, clumps ok, but if not scooped that day, breaks down into dust that tracks.

Okocat original, it tracks if not scooped that day, I was expecting clay-like performance due to its texture and weight, but nope, still getting it on the bed.

Zeolite stone pellets and pee pads, they won't use! I've been praying for them to switch to this.

I'm working outside of the house half of the day so I won't always be there to scoop at the optimal time. The only litter that has held up to my needs was clay, but the weight gets heavy after a while and thus I seeked alternatives. I'm happy the cats were willing to experiment with me.

I was hoping feline pine would work, but the amount of tracking is much more than that of clay when it's broken down. I have litter mats stretching 4 feet from the litter boxes, yet it still tracks around the house. Okocat, I figured could be better, but the clumps don't hold long enough before breaking down.

Am I at a lost hope point at this time with no real alternatives to clay?

I'm looking to try zeolite one more time before going back to clay 100%.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you use a sifting litter box with the pine litter? The broken down "sawdust" drops into the lower tray where the kitties don't step in it. They'd probably get some on their feet before it drops through, but not as much as digging around if it's just sitting in the same tray as the unused litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you use a sifting litter box with the pine litter? The broken down "sawdust" drops into the lower tray where the kitties don't step in it. They'd probably get some on their feet before it drops through, but not as much as digging around if it's just sitting in the same tray as the unused litter.
I bought a sifting box for it. For me, the pine litter doesn't fall to the bottom, but settle at the top, probably due to the amount they urinate, then they shuffle the box out of habit. I'm using the Van Ness Sifting box that's blue. Is there another that you recommend?

I'm not a fan of the van ness box because the entrance is a little small. It needs to be a covered box as well.