Tricky feral

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago we had a new (possibly) feral show up. There hasn’t been any cat tracks in our yard since Lollie moved to the basement. And suddenly there was. She/he was ripping up our garbage so after several days of it sticking around I put food out. I don’t like to feed them unless they are here for several days. I wouldn’t want to encourage someone’s pet to stay when it should go home. Anyway, she ate the food the first night but then not for 3 days. I know she hunts as we found evidence under our truck one of the days she didn’t eat. But then I saw no sign of her for two days. I hoped she went home if she has one. She had only ever come after dark. Yesterday I got home around 2:30 pm and saw the food on the plate had gone soggy. So at 3 I threw on my boots and was going to dump the soggy food and to my surprise it was gone. She came during daylight and ate the soggy food. So I filled the plate back up. When I went to bed the plate was full. This a.m. it’s empty and she also got into the trash and got out cheese lol she ate a big hunk of that. I know she came twice overnight because there was a dusting of snow and it was on the empty plate. She ate the food prior to the snow. And there are tracks on the deck so she returned after the snow.

My issue is I got de-wormer from the vet for her. She has to take it for 3 days. But she has no routine. How do I form one with her? I’m certain shes Worm filled as Lollie was when she showed up.

I’ll be getting her fixed. It takes a little time to get in at the tnr clinic near me.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait until she shows up eevry day, which should be soon if food is left out for her. Cats love routine.She may have kittens somewhere so make sure she is realeased asap after spaying. Bless you for caring......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would wait until she shows up eevry day, which should be soon if food is left out for her. Cats love routine.She may have kittens somewhere so make sure she is realeased asap after spaying. Bless you for caring......
Thank you, that’s pretty much what I thought. When she vanished for the 3 days she’d only found food on the plate once so she wouldn’t of realized it would be there consistently. I’m also shaking the food container as I put food out just hoping if she’s near she will start associating that noise with food. With Lollie, once I was able to get her close enough to eat that trick brought her out from wherever she was including way up in trees lol. I’m not expecting this one to be anything like Lollie but we can hope. Lollie saw the food came from people but this one just sees food on a plate so far.

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I really hope she doesn’t have kittens anywhere. Thankfully this winter has been mild for Wisconsin but still much too cold for babies. I’ve been following her tracks to see if I can figure out her sleeping spots. No signs of babies but I wondered when she vanished for days. I’m not positive it’s a girl either...I just think it looks feminine lol.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL It took me literally months to find out my feral kitten was a boy, I could NOT believe a cat could keep it's tail down that long. But cats usually only raise thieir tails when they are greeting another, are happy, or get confident enough!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few days ago we had a new (possibly) feral show up. There hasn’t been any cat tracks in our yard since Lollie moved to the basement. And suddenly there was. She/he was ripping up our garbage so after several days of it sticking around I put food out. I don’t like to feed them unless they are here for several days. I wouldn’t want to encourage someone’s pet to stay when it should go home. Anyway, she ate the food the first night but then not for 3 days. I know she hunts as we found evidence under our truck one of the days she didn’t eat. But then I saw no sign of her for two days. I hoped she went home if she has one. She had only ever come after dark. Yesterday I got home around 2:30 pm and saw the food on the plate had gone soggy. So at 3 I threw on my boots and was going to dump the soggy food and to my surprise it was gone. She came during daylight and ate the soggy food. So I filled the plate back up. When I went to bed the plate was full. This a.m. it’s empty and she also got into the trash and got out cheese lol she ate a big hunk of that. I know she came twice overnight because there was a dusting of snow and it was on the empty plate. She ate the food prior to the snow. And there are tracks on the deck so she returned after the snow.

My issue is I got de-wormer from the vet for her. She has to take it for 3 days. But she has no routine. How do I form one with her? I’m certain shes Worm filled as Lollie was when she showed up.

I’ll be getting her fixed. It takes a little time to get in at the tnr clinic near me.
Make your feeding routine consistent. It could take a couple days or weeks but the kitty will learn your routine and show up regularly. At least that's been my experience.

Lolliecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now I’m back to thinking it’s a boy. I got a good look at his face and it definitely looks like a boy face lol.
I’m thinking cheese is the way to his trust. He got the cheese out of the trash again. You can see him close up with his cheese on Lollie’s Instagram if you want. It’s lollie_thefriendlyferal (I posted a video of him this am).