Tricks to get my cat to eat a food she doesn’t like?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mia doesn’t like turkey. And yet I decided to try a different brand of turkey raw food for her because it was on sale. And turkey was the only flavor left other than one bag of lamb which I also bought.

And Mia is just not a fan. I should have guessed, but she had only tried one other brand of turkey so I wasn’t sure if it was just that brand of turkey she didn’t like. Anyways long story short, now I have 2 -1.5 pound bags of turkey and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to get her to eat it. I’ve sprinkled treats on it. I’ve squeezed some of her favorite meat tube treats on it. I even tried sprinkling cat nip on it and she still is not a fan.

Ive gotten her to eat at least some of it each meal but it’s a struggle. And I can’t return the food. And I hate to let it go to waste.

Any tips that I have not tried? 😂 I know it’s not a big deal because she still has an appetite, just not for that food. Lol. Never again will I buy her turkey.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! That’s so helpful! I’ll read through that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Try mixing in some canned for smell. I have never eaten dry but canned might be more tasty

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you find a friend to give the food to? Mia should really eat food she enjoys eating until there’s a medical reason to employ tricks and temptations. If you play out all your hands now, they may not work when you need them.

Ashleyninja

Cats made the world Amazing
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, but maybe since the link above shows some tips, when you've finished with the turkey, try cutting back on treats, if that's the only food your cat likes, try to get your cat used to eating other food, it's probably developed a taste for treats, Spotty (My cat) used to eat everything, but then started to have a taste for treats, until she refused to eat other food.
I'm sorry I'm new I'm not that good at giving tips! But I hope I kind of helped Oops, just realized I'm very late to reply to this post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well when I say ‘treats’ it’s actually a freeze dried food. So it’s still technically meeting all her nutritional needs. Except for the meat tube treats. And actually the opposite happened where I think she was associating the treats with the bad tasting food. So she stopped eating them and didn’t eat her food this morning. And I was really worried Because she’s usually very good with eating. so I called the vet and she told me to go and buy a fish based food to see if she would eat that. So I did that and she did eat it. But it was really strange that she started refusing her favorite treats. Got me really worried. I’m gonna give the rest of the turkey food to my friend. No more turkey for Mia!

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put about one inch of dry American Journey Turkey/Chicken and put in the bottom of a mason jar, then fill it up with dry Wysong Geriatrix which they aren't crazy about. The odor goes up into the not so tasty one over time. Both
martin and hibou (3).jpg
are seniors and mostly get wet food for kidney health. Kibble stored in glass has less exposure to plastic bag chemicals and their bad smells and chemicals.The heat ruins a lot of cat food in shipping right about now August heat waves.Also a little dark tuna with low mercury VERY well rinsed to de-salt it and I make a gruel out of it with dry. Usually once or twice a week.

Last edited: