Triatitis

idelel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a crazy case for y'all! My 7 year old s/f kitty has always been healthy. Her normal activity consist of eating and sleep. A week ago she stopped eating which is very strange!! Brought her to the vet bloodwork was normal and xrays they thought they saw a possible forgien body. Went ahead and hospitalized her on fluids in hopes it will pass. Re xray in the morning and radiologist said abdomen looked good. Took her home and offered food. She still denied. Hasn't used the ...litter box and is just laying there. Gave her tummy meds and still didn't want to eat. Got her to the emergency clinic for an ultrasound. They diagnosed her with Triatitis. So pretty much IBD, pancetentitis, liver inflammation and inflamed gallbladder with sludge. Running a Gastro feline panel to see her b12 levels and such.... My poor cat hasn't moved. Finally ate today. Anyone else dealt with this!??? No vomiting and very hard stools when we gave her enema. Oh and her back was painful on palpation from t2 to t4... Seeing the nuerologist Wednesday [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji] my vets are stumped

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard of this before and it sounds really hard to watch and not know what to do.   I hope someone is able to offer you some advice and support  from experience.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am likely dealing with something similar with my male cat Bandit. He will be 17 in December and had a six week bout of pancreatitis. My vet had said that there was likely more going on, but we decided not to ultrasound due to costs and location of the clinic that does that.

Pancreatitis goes in a circle--Triatitis is the term--meaning the bowel is causing inflammation of the other organs. Things I found that helped are:

Pepcid AC--this was a saving grace!! Ask your vet about it but the regular dose is a quarter tablet  morning and night. This stops excess stomach acid and I think I read somewhere it helps the pancreas to actually heal.  Next, finding a food that doesn't irritate the bowel if it is IBD (my boy was diagnosed with mega colon at 2yrs of age, so having IBD would be rather odd, but weird stuff happens to me ;)  ).  I've had to play around with different foods, but fatty foods and certain types of grains can irritate the lining of the bowel.

I have a whole whack of meds, including prednisone which is great to reduce inflammation---I'm sure your vet will prescribe that too. 

Wishing you the best! I had actually planned to euthanize my boy last Monday and he rallied and told me no...and I'm so grateful he did. :)