Triaditis Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a beautiful 7 yo Russian Blue boy on Tue evening 11/24. He is so friendly and snuggly but wouldn't eat much of anything. Tried all sorts of different foods. He showed interest but wouldn't eat. Finally got him into the vet yesterday (Mon 11/30) and they sent us immediately to the ER for a more detailed work up and ultrasound as he was jaundiced. He had the u/s today and I just got the call that they are suspecting triaditis. It was quite overwhelming to hear the overview of the organs and all that is going on. They are recommending a feeding tube, which my bf and I agreed to do if the vet believed he was a good candidate for treatment, and they do. What we did NOT want to do is prolong his life if the dr felt he was a lost cause.

I am looking to see if others have had successful experiences with supportive care of triaditis. I've read up on the feeding tube, and while nervous, I feel fortunate we're both home most of every day due to the pandemic and can dedicate the time needed for this and to keep a watchful eye on him.

At the end of the day, it will be costly, but he's a great kitty and he deserves a shot. From what we've learned he's had a pretty rough few weeks. He was owner surrendered early Nov due to a "sudden allergy" (or maybe they knew he was sick and didn't want to pay?), and we found him at a shelter that didn't seem too clean or focused on him (more so on kittens), so who knows. We were told that he weighed 20.5 lbs when we got him but he's 13.4 as of yesterday. We suspect maybe this has been going on before we got him, but who really knows. He's safe now, and will get the best care.

Muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry to hear about your baby’s diagnosis ☹

I have a 6 year old female who was diagnosed with Triaditis December of last year and was in liver failure. She was on an intense round of antibiotics, pain meds, gallstone medication and liver supports. I think she was on approx 8 pills per day And was being treated for months. It was a long process to recovery as she reacted poorly with the amount of meds she was on. So the vet and I chose to reduce her medications and treat her for longer which really helped her.

As to what caused the triaditis, I have no clue. I was able to discover that she had a chicken allergy so she has since been removed from all foods containing chicken. She has now been placed on a raw food diet with some tinned food. I try to use novel proteins for the raw food and tinned food with minimal ingredients (Rawz or Koha).

I know exactly what you guys are going through but you will get through it. It’s been almost a year and my fur baby bounced back.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
At the end of the day, it will be costly, but he's a great kitty and he deserves a shot.
Bless you for adopting this cat, it must have been fate that he found you. 🤗 Although I do not have any personal experience with triaditis I do have experience with adopting a cat who needed veterinary treatment four days after bring her home from the shelter. In the shelter contract it stated they would pay for medical treatment up to two weeks after the adoption. You may want to check your contract to see if it includes reimbursement of veterinary bills.

Since the vet said he is a good candidate for treatment I will keep both fingers and paws crossed for him. :crossfingers: :bluepaw: BTW, what did you decide to name your Russian Blue boy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless you for adopting this cat, it must have been fate that he found you. 🤗 Although I do not have any personal experience with triaditis I do have experience with adopting a cat who needed veterinary treatment four days after bring her home from the shelter. In the shelter contract it stated they would pay for medical treatment up to two weeks after the adoption. You may want to check your contract to see if it includes reimbursement of veterinary bills.

Since the vet said he is a good candidate for treatment I will keep both fingers and paws crossed for him. :crossfingers: :bluepaw: BTW, what did you decide to name your Russian Blue boy?
His name was Porkchop and we kept it. Not my first choice but as we drove home with him it really grew on us. He's a sweet boy.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he is already jaundice, did they diagnose him with Fatty Liver (also called Hepatic Lipidosis) as well as the Triaditis? If so, or if he simply will not eat, then I would definitely go with an E-tube. It just makes feeding them so much easier. And that way you can give him all his meds that way too, unless they cannot be crushed. And with possible IBD, I would steer away from feeding him a prescription recovery food, but rather feed him a limited protein food, something like Rawz as mentioned above.

Here is a good resource for you to examine: Feline Triaditis – IBDKitties

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - hepatic lipidosis was mentioned yesterday as a possibility but not specifically mentioned today when I talked to the vet about the ultrasound results. He's getting the e-tube inserted, likely right now, and we should be hearing soon how that goes. Hoping all goes well and he can come home soon.

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was a setback and vet is now seeing hepatic encephalitis (crooked head, drooling) so they’re doing a naso tube. I really hope it’s already done because he needs food! He was brought in at 4p yesterday and not given food last night because of the ultrasound which didn’t happen until 1p today and results at 4p. I gave the go ahead for etube at that time and at 9p when I called to check in was made aware of his condition and told he’s not stable enough for etube. It all seems to be moving in slow motion.

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I‘m so sad and distraught I am about this. It's pretty amazing how you can fall in love so quickly with an animal so new to the family, but I do love him and am anxious and upset about what the next day or so will bring. In the 6 short days he was home with us, he was such a delight to have around. Just so cute and cuddly and friendly.

I do believe his symptoms were there well before we picked him up, although the shelter says all was fine, but it's not worth wasting time on that. The damage is done and I will do what's best for him. Sigh. I have a pit in my stomach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are going through this. Just do the best you can for the little kitty and enjoy the time you have with Porkchop. Try to eat well and drink enough water. Talk to people who understand, like you're doing here. Keep your head up!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear what you are going through with Porkchop. I have no experience to give advice. I just wanted to let you know that someone cares about the difficult time you are going through. You are both amazing kitty parents. Porkchop has an amazing family that loves him dearly. I hope things get better for Porkchop soon.

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other part of this is I waited nearly 3 years to adopt again after dealing with traumatic end of life illnesses/treatments for my last cat Tessie. It was so sad and stressful, and I knew I wouldn't be ready to adopt at the risk of that happening again. And here we are. I had Tessie for 10 years, Porkchop 6 days. The universe seems to be telling me something.

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you're going through this, Tessie ('s parent). If the universe is telling you anything, I think it is only that it knows how much love you have to give. (Years ago, we had our kitten Nikita for only 4 days before we had to put her to sleep because she had distemper. You're right; it is possible to bond *incredibly* quickly)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
tessie7 tessie7 we're all rooting for Porkchop and you. :hugs: If it's any consolation many of us have had similar experiences so we understand and are empathetic to what you're going through. I adopted a Persian kitten who succumbed to FIP at a very early age. It's absolutely heartbreaking but we are here for support. Please keep us updated on Porkchop whenever you have a chance. Sending healing vibes and special thoughts your way.:vibes::vibes::vibes:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I am so sorry. Praying for you. Feel free to message me any time if you need to talk ❤ 🙏

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, we decided to let Porkchop go after 4 days of in-patient care and no improvement. We are heartbroken but we were able to be with him at the end. While spending some time with him before the procedure, it was clear to us how uncomfortable and agitated he was, so we know it was the right decision, as much as it hurts our hearts right now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere sympathies go out to you. :hugs: Porkchop's final days were spent with you giving him all the TLC that he deserved instead of passing in the shelter. He is running pain free at the Bridge now. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss tessie7 tessie7 We always lock the threads when a cat passes, so I'll lock this one now.

When you feel ready it might help to start a thread in Porkchop's memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum. We have some sticky threads at the top of that forum for people who've lost their cats.

Rest in Peace Porkchop.

Status
Not open for further replies.