Tree Question.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tree growing out the center of a stump in my front yard. the stump was there when I bought my house 6 years ago, and I'm not sure when the tree was originally cut. I was wondering if I could let it go and just see what happens. I think it was a maple tree and I love maple trees, so I would love to have a maple tree. I also find the placement of the tree to be a good spot. It is not near the house and would definitely add curb appeal. This also does not look like a "sucker", it has a distinctive trunk with branches and is growing out of the center of the trunk, not out of the sides. What do you all think?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let it grow for now and see what happens.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried that in the past but the tree that grew was never very strong and grew sort of sideways from the stump. I staked it and let it grow for a few years before having to cut it down. If you really love that kind of tree I would have the stump removed and start fresh with a strong sapling.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think part of the problem with a tree that grows from a stump is that a good part of the stump and roots is dead and rotting. I think that makes it difficult for the tree to have healthy roots.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I have a tree growing out the center of a stump in my front yard. the stump was there when I bought my house 6 years ago, and I'm not sure when the tree was originally cut. I was wondering if I could let it go and just see what happens. I think it was a maple tree and I love maple trees, so I would love to have a maple tree. I also find the placement of the tree to be a good spot. It is not near the house and would definitely add curb appeal. This also does not look like a "sucker", it has a distinctive trunk with branches and is growing out of the center of the trunk, not out of the sides. What do you all think?
Can you post a photo of it? It probably is best to remove the stump and plant a healthy young maple sapling there, as others have suggested but there are exceptions to every rule. The fact that the sapling is growing from the center of the tree rather than from the side as suckers usually do makes this a bit unusual. The living parts of maple trees, which contain meristimatic tissue capable of cell division and growth, are at the periphery of the tree. I’m trying to picture a sucker sprouting from the center wood which is non-living tissue. I guess I’m wondering if the stump is very small or if it is a large stump partially rotted in which case the maple sapling may have sprouted there if the maple seed landed in the decaying material composing the stump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I’m wondering if the stump is very small or if it is a large stump partially rotted in which case the maple sapling may have sprouted there if the maple seed landed in the decaying material composing the stump.
No picture at the moment, I'll see if I can get one.
But yes, the stump is large enough about 18-24 inches in diameter with a large rotting crack running thru the center. The thing is, it may not even be a maple (I'm just hoping it would be). It wouldn't be the first time that I've had to remove a tree from my property that the squirrels planted. I currently have 4 trees growing in flower beds and planters that are coming out this year. I am hoping to transplant one of them and I'll give the other ones to my sister to plant in her yard. The squirrels even planted raspberry bushes for me, and in a really good area! I'm hoping with time they will spread and I'll get fresh raspberries in the summer, so far I only ever get a handful, but I hear they can spread really well.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm. I don’t know what happened to the rest of my answer but one of the possibilities I mentioned was that the sapling could be a volunteer that germinated and took hold in the middle of the stump, if that middle area was breaking down and forming a nice compost. It sounds like that’s a real possibility, especially since you’ve got squirrels helping matters along!:catman:

If you can get a photo of the base of the sapling and any leaves, I might be able to be a bit more help both in identifying the tree and letting you know if the sapling will thrive where it is. Normally stumps aren’t great places for new trees to do well but if this stump is far enough along in its return to earth, it might work.

I hope those raspberries do well. Yum! Sun-warmed raspberries on a summer evening are a bit of heaven!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish I could send you a baby maple. I kill dozens every year that have sprouted on their own in my flower beds. They literally grow like weeds and must be yanked or cut and covered with stump killer. I am personally not a maple fan because their leaves are so large and are shed so late in the fall