Treats and Catnip suggestions?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am on Amazon (yes it's convenient for me) and I am overwhelmed by the selections. I want a safe bet for a treat and suddenly there are treats for hairballs, dental health, you name it. I just want something that Kitty (who is ten, actually, but has never had any treats) would like.

She has developed a habit (I think she is becoming OCD) of running to the french door and staring in, often, when I walk into the greatroom/kitchen. It's a bit unsettling. I don't want to encourage the behavior, I don't have time to run to her all day, but I want to help her (and myself) transition to her life as a single kitty. She doesn't seem to be taking it well. 9 years with siblings, now alone. I actually can relate, i think.

As for catnip? A toy? Leaves? Spray?

Thanks in advance for ideas. Just sharing what your cat likes would also be nice.

I have heard about catnip bubbles but I am wondering if my kitty would even know what a bubble is, being ten. Ditto catnip, toys, or even treats~ She certainly doesn't know how to catch mice! <grin>. That's okay, she is just... well... herself. Aren't we all?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is my cats favorite catnip toys. They all go absolutely crazy for it. I allow them time with it a few times each week.
As for treats, it's sometimes hard to find treats that cats like. Some like crunchy, some moist and some dehydrated. I would just get a few different types and see what she likes.

I often use plain cooked chicken. I just boil a chicken thigh, chicken liver and keep it in small bags that I freeze. My cats love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, you've all been so helpful, I really appreciate you and everyone who has answered questions. I grew up with dogs, cats (house cats), ponies and horses, birds, turtles, fish, you name it, before moving to NYC for many years, now back in the burbs, near open space, and have never encountered a "hostile" pet, who is now "needy" and offputting and trying to connect, all at the same time.

The banana looks like total fun! And good to know I may get some "fails" on treats, so buy small amounts of a few kinds? and not give up right away, what I hear you are saying?

I do believe in compassion very much so ... it's hard, that's all. I don't have much of a base of knowledge so... again, thank you! I will take all ideas into consideration.

I have been wondering about this to add into the mix: if it looks like a dumb idea please let me know before I spend the money. I would probably not use the heartbeat feature. And i would buy these rechargeable warmers, they are cheap, I have some for myself. Even during the day, they would all 3 sleep on one cushion, they must have kept each other nice and toasty and comforted.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are all happy to help. I bought a heartbeat small snuggle toy for my cats and they absolutely hated it. It freaked them out. I wouldn't waste your money. As for handwarmer, I would just get another heat pad to put on the cushions. They would provide more heat. My boys loved their heat pads.

For more ideas, you might read through my blog. I cared for many feral cats on my back deck for years. I lived in the middle of suburbia and was surprised at the number of stray and feral cats. Last year I moved out away from the city. I decided that my 3 remaining feral cats that lived on my deck, would become inside cats. I had previously brought in 2 others and had another rescue living inside. So my total went from 3 to 6 in the blink of an eye. I also had a dog. The feral cats have all adjusted to inside living. It took time and lots of patience. I wrote about many ideas on my blog. It might help you with some suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you. I meant to tell you I looked up your blog and I am looking forward to reading it. Looks great! And thanks for the tip on saving my money. Who wants to waste money these days? Rather spend it on something that Kitty will use. PS I loved the photo of one of your ferals with the banana!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have stinkies. I bought them about 3 years ago and the cats still love them. As far are treats are concerned, I give them a few of their dry food bits, throw them across the room and the cats run after them making a bit of a game out of it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Single ingredient freeze dried 100% eat or fish treats are best. Here is a thread with suggested brands that you can likely find on Amazon, Chewy, etc as well as local pet stores:

Some are have a soft texture that is easily rehydrated in water while others are more hard and crunchy like kibble.

Plain cooked meat is fine as a treat, too :) Some cats even like raw meat.

Try different forms of catnip to see what your cat likes best. Fresh leaves from a plant you grow yourself (easy enough to do without those pricey kits), dried leaves (from fresh or any brand sold in stores), sprays, pellets, etc. Cats who have no reaction to catnip may be more receptive to honeysuckle. You don't need to give catnip or anything anyways. Cats are perfectly happy with any toy or box and plenty of attention and love from you :catrub:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second shadowsrescue. My boys fought over that banana when I threw it down lol

They have never cared for catnip until that toy so I'd say the brand is pretty good in that department. It seemed to lose effect on them after a day, though.

As for treats I feed freeze dried raw, like SmallBatch's chicken and turkey hearts, and Stella and Chewy's dinner morsels. Those are my boys' favorites.