Treatment Options For Pancreatitis In Cats?,medications Harmful?

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of treatment options for pancreatitis in cats? Can certain antibiotics or medications contribute to causing the condition? My kitty has had this on and off for a few years. She is on Clavamox antibiotic long term and am wondering if we need to change this. She first got pancreatitis when the food she was on -Ziwipeak Venison added chickpea to their canned food. She no longer eats that brand !!! Any suggestions are appreciated.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what i have read most of the time they dont know why a cat gets pancreatitis? My mother has it, she is a people, not a cat, but they think with her it is in part because of all of the antibiotics she has taken for lifelong chronic bladder infections. But part of it may be hereditary as well.

I think for cats, just like with people the diet needs to be lower fat, and maybe smaller more frequent meals, so as not to tax the already inflamed pancreas.
Tiki, almo nature complete foods, and some weruva are my go to wet foods for high protein, lower fat and carbs.

Best of luck to her, i hope she is ok right now?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some people believe that the overuse of antibiotics can cause pancreatitis, but it has not been proven. Genetics does play a part in it, and Siamese cats are more prone to it than other breeds.

Sub Q fluids are helpful during an episode, as are pain killers. And as duckpond duckpond stated, lower fat food are best, as well as low grains. Also, do you use digestive enzymes? They help (supposedly) with digestion, which help the pancreas from getting overworked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know the pancreatitis started when my cat was on ziwipeak venison and the formula changed and they added chick pea to it. One thing that the vet is doing now is giving my cat appetite stimulants so she keeps eating but then she overeats and that might overload her pancreas. I will check with her on that. She had been on an antibiotic long term and the vet is thinking of taking her off of it but her previous vet switched antibiotics and she got over the pancreatitis but then put her back onto the same previous one. The current vet is afraid to make too many changes. My cat is just getting over thyroid radioactive uptake for thyroid adenoma and we are trying to get her thyroid stabilized with thyroid medications because her bun is too high and her thyroid levels are not back up yet. (Low thyroid affects the kidney function). Her kidney function (bun too high) needs protection (even with sub q fluids) hence the decision to put her on thyroid medication which will slow the thyroid recovery but be more protective of kidney function. The bun elevated might also have to do with the pancreatitis. Her previous vet is out on medical family leave. Both her previous and current vet are internal medicine vets but don't exactly know what to do. I guess the pancreas has to recover somewhat on its own but she has a chronic condition. I don't know if the thyroid meds contribute to the pancreatitis. She did do better when her steroid was lowered. She is on budesonide for IBD. Poor baby, wish I knew just what to do.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot going on with the little girl! I will keep her in my thoughts. I hope they get it figured out soon, i know sometimes its a bit of trial and error to see what works with an individual. Hopefully she will be better soon! keep us updated with her.