Treatment for FIP is now legally available in the US

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MOD note: Please, move this thread to the relevant Forum if needed.

Just read that a legal treatment for FIP is now available in the US

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) | Resources for Veterinarians | Stokes Pharmacy

This means that cat owners can ask their vets for prescriptions for this medicine, rather than resorting to the black market with all the risks involved.
Hopefully, the rest of the world will follow soon. In Europe only the UK has authorized this medicine so far, and the only other country is Australia, if Im'm not wrong.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting... It sounds like it's just that pharmacy and they don't have a concrete protocol - instead leaving it up to vets to figure out. They also don't have it for in-office stock, so it might take a little bit to get it to the pet owner. But still... it's progress! I lost one to FIP and we have donated to UC Davis's FIP research in hopes that they do better. I believe Colorado State Univ is working on a diagnostic test too - also something that is lacking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually there is a chart for protocol, which is the same protocol that is usually followed for the injectable form.

Protocol Chart

Also, it says that they ship the same day and the overnight shipping is available

Veterinary office orders are ready to ship same day with 1-2 business days in transit. Patient prescriptions will ship once we confirm pet owner payment and shipping information. Then it will be 1-2 business days in transit. Overnight shipping is also available upon request.

You will find more info in the FAQ table. Scroll the page halfway down.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting, I thought the patents for these two compounds were still held by Gilead, and their longstanding refusal to market it for cats. I wonder if it's bioequivalent to theirs or a "close enough" synthesis to bypass patents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting, I thought the patents for these two compounds were still held by Gilead, and their longstanding refusal to market it for cats. I wonder if it's bioequivalent to theirs or a "close enough" synthesis to bypass patents.
The website says that the tablets are GS-441524, so it's the original ingredient, not an equivalent.

CatEng

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even with the same molecule, sometimes the isomers are different and it affects the metabolism or efficacy of the compound, or sometimes there's a slight difference in the excipients used in the formula which affect the bioavailability of the medication.

It appears, from a quick search, that the sellers of GS-441524 operate in a legal grey zone: FDA Announces Position on Use of Compounded GS-441524 to Treat FIP

The product can be manufactured for research purposes only and may not meet cGMP standards, that's basically their workaround to circumvent the patent held by Gilead.