Treat Recommendations for Sensitive Stomachs?

IsabelB50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats has a sensitive stomach and eats Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein dry food. The treats are no longer available, so I am feeding him Greenies dental treats. Those are okay with his stomach, but Temptations are not. Does anyone have any other ideas on treats for sensitive stomachs? Any replies are appreciated. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm giving Mr Captain Jack freeze dried minnows. Purebites on Chewy and in a couple other stores are available in a larger bag for about $11.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use only Freeze dried 100% chicken, or 100% turkey, or 100% beef, or 100% lamb, etc for treats. I also buy the dog sized bags because they are so much cheaper. I usually buy Life Essentials (from Chewy) but have used PureBites, WholeLife, Tylees, Stewarts. I just break up the pieces into cat friendly sizes, and often also use them as toppers for my picky eaters.

Drusilla&Finn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know Hills has treats for cats on their prescription food for digestive issues. Not the same brand but might be tummy safe? We are doing Stella and Chewys freeze dried dinner morsels as treats for my cats right now. They have digestive issues (still figuring out the cause possible IBD or food allergy). They are on the Hills prescription ID and are stable but not great. We are slowly trying to switch to a novel protein and see if it’s a chicken allergy or the gum binders in wet food irritates (hills is chicken based and he’s developed dandruff in addition to stomach issues). We are going really really slow to see what their stomachs can handle so we are trying Stella and Chewy freeze dried dinner morsels in rabbit. Currently we are just giving 2 nuggets a day as treats for a few weeks to test the waters then slowly increase. So far it’s been amazing! They absolutely adore the food they go crazy for them like Churu level excited! And two weeks in their stomachs have been normal/improving! We started giving them cat grass too and it’s done wonders. My cats stomachs can also handle Churu treats well and love them but I’ve heard they can be hard on the stomach so try with caution!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use only Freeze dried 100% chicken, or 100% turkey, or 100% beef, or 100% lamb, etc for treats. I also buy the dog sized bags because they are so much cheaper. I usually buy Life Essentials (from Chewy) but have used PureBites, WholeLife, Tylees, Stewarts. I just break up the pieces into cat friendly sizes, and often also use them as toppers for my picky eaters.
We also use lots of freeze-dried chicken treats. I've been buying the Chewy brand in cat-labelled bags but also sometimes buy packages labeled for dogs if they're cheaper.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Greenies made my one cat sick, and Temptations made the other cat sick. Though to be honest, I think he ate them too fast. Anyhow my cats LOVE those Delectable lickable treats. Maybe not the healthiest thing on the market, but I have to give my Tessa an inhaler twice a day, and she will cooperate as long as she gets the lickable treat as a reward.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greenies gave Betty the double-ended spits the first time we tried them. Looking at the feeding instructions, I didn't think three would be a big deal considering how small they are. I had her on the hairball treats for awhile (backing up to 1 a day and eventually 2.) But when she had dental work and couldn't have hard treats, I switched her to these. I found these with my last cat, Krista. These were one of the few treats she could gum her way through after she had her teeth removed and it didn't upset her IBD. Betty probably just loves them because they are stinky.
FELINE NATURAL Booster Lamb Green Tripe Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper, 2-oz bag - Chewy.com

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd look carefully at the ingredients in the greenies and the temptations and see what is in temptations that isn't in the greenies or the hydrolyzed protein food. This is cause there's no one size fits all "sensitive stomach" with cats, there's so many things they can be sensitive to! A hydrolyzed protein diet leaves out any proteins they may be sensitive or allergic to. It looks like the royal canin one also has no wheat which can also be an issue for some cats. One of ours with a sensitive stomach actually got WORSE on a hydrolyzed protein diet which led me to the conclusion he is sensitive to rice (and possibly other grains) due to the amount of rice in the HP foods. Bottom line each cats sensitivity is different so it can take a bit of detective work to see what does the trick.

Looks like most greenies treats have many of the usual suspects for ingredients (chicken, wheat, other grains) that can upset some cats tummies. So I'm not sure what it would be in temptations that doesn't agree with her, the only thing that jumps out at me comparing chicken flavor of greenies dental treats and temptations chicken flavor (the original ones - crunchy with a soft filling) is the temptations have dried cheese.

Treats with the fewest ingredients may be a good bet like the freeze dried or squeeze type treats mentioned before, both of which tend to be meat and maybe a couple other ingredients.