Treat Puzzle Toys For Smart Kitty!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seeking recommendations for a more challenging treat puzzle toy for Aya my 9 yr old calico.

We recently changed treat brands which allowed me to utilize the puzzle toys. They are great for channeling some of her energy after dinner when she is frisky and I am less so. We also do wand play before bedtime.

Anyway, 6 mos in and Aya is so adept at these toys she eats the treats right out of them and is still frisky rather thanit keeping her busy for 30 minutes or so.

This is the best one so far:

These are not so much:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you checked out this website? Food Puzzles for Cats

There have a lot of different types and ideas for food puzzles. One of the ones I have seen that is very economical is saving paper towel and toilet paper rolls (also egg cartons, small boxes, etc). Cut them to different lengths and attach to sheets of cardboard. You can build different versions, stack them, put tubes at different angles, deconstruct and change them frequently at a low cost. You can search from Fumbleboards for examples of them online. Fumbleboards are only limited to your imagination in terms of what you can build and challenges for your cat.

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i use this one by Trixi for kibble treats: Its very well made and had 4 distinct areas for her to figure out. My calico figured it out pretty quickly, but it does slow her down quite a bit and keeps her occupied for quite a while.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that one looks like a Plinko board. Tilt it up, get a camera & you've got yourself a web show I would watch, especially if you do play by play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a nearly new Catit feeder at Goodwill. Put it out yesterday. She ate the food I put in the bottom to give her an idea this is where u get food, but as of yet she has not fished the kibbles out of the upper levels like she's supposed to do. We shall see...
I have the digger one and my cat figured that one out after she watched me do it. Do you think the tree one would tip over or does it seem sturdy? I want to buy another one.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems fairly stable. It is very lightweight plastic so I do not thing it would do kitty any harm if she knocks it over, aside from spilled food. The base is very broad so not tipsy at all.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Catit feeder was a bust. Left it out for over a week and Aya never caught on to the stick your paw in here and fish the food out game. She prefers to wake me for snacks at 4:30am -yes, I am kitty-slave.