Trazadone for cats

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, so I have a question. My friend has trazadone (50mg) for her dog and would like to give some to her cats, as they're doing a 6h drive to move back here. Now, I know that trazadone is typically used on dogs and that we don't usually use it on cats (though there has been research on the use of it on cats and it has had some good results). But my friend is out of options and her cats travel very badly. One will pee, vomit and poop the whole ride. Moving back here was really last minute for her. Could she give 25mg each? Or even 12.5mg? They're all in good shape and healthy.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a prescription and she should do it with the help of her veterinarian. Some medications the vets will not want to give the cats becaus the cat can end up having the opposite reaction. One time Tom came home from a teeth cleaning where he was under anesthesia, and he lost his marbles, hyper and paranoid, bit us, couldn't see us, until he slept it off. He's been anesthetized at least 7 times without this happening.

Options by severity:
Dramamine
Bach's Rescue Remedy Pet
CBD oil
Zylkene

and Stewart was recently approved for prescription Gabapentin. He gets aggressive at the vet and soils and screams and thrashed. We get to drug him before he leaves the house next time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, agree with lalagimp lalagimp . This is definitely a question for her Vet, or A Vet, not laypersons as ourselves. Sorry