Travelling And Leaving My Cats At Home. Help.

Naomi24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am leaving my 2 Cats for 7 months while I go travelling. They will be staying in my partners parents house - They are very familiar with them and the house (as we go up atleast once a month since we’ve had them) But, they are indoor cats and they will be now allowed go outdoors (again we have let them out around the garden for the past couple of months on leads to get them used to the area). We will be moving up there with them exactly one month before we go so we can make the process easier. I am just wondering is there any advice anyone can give me? I’m nervous that they would try make their way back to their old home when we leave. They are my babies. I have my first one since he was 3 days old and the longest I have left him is 7 days in the last 3 years.

Any advice would be great! Thanks.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are they going to be allowed outdoors? I honestly don't like that idea at all-unless it's on leashes and harnesses, but I'm guessing that is not the scenario.

Even cats that have been going outside their whole like are exposed to incredible risks. The smartest cats still get run over by cars and attacked by loose dogs or coyotes and birds of prey if they are in the area. Cats get tapeworms from mice and fleas. Cats can get FIV if they are attacked by another cat, or FelV if they become friends with another cat and groom each other. Cats also get stolen or abused by people. Also, when cats are outside a lot, people don't notice behavioral changes that could signify dramatic health issues as easily. I'm still haunted by the time someone was talking to me and had just lost her cat because they didn't realize he had started to lose his hearing and didn't hear her car and she ran over him in the driveway...

And then on top of that these cats are unfamiliar with the area and not used to being outside by themselves-it sounds like a bad, bad situation.

If they're kept inside however, I think things could be just fine. The first couple of days or weeks might be difficult, but if your partner's parents have a pretty stable routine, the cats will latch on quickly and adapt. Routine makes cats feel safe and happy! Just make sure they keep up with any medications and flea preventatives you use, keep them on the food you like, they keeo their litter boxes clean, and they know to take them to the vet for anything abnormal.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the cat site Naomi!

I see from your profile pic that you're from Ireland! You'll get great advice from people here and you'll notice as you get to know this site that many members are from the States and advocate keeping cats indoors at all times, which is very different to how cats are kept in Ireland, however, when it comes to moving home with cats I would totally be erring on the side of keeping them indoors, is this completely out of the question..?

Google tells me that if you're moving your cats it's recommended to keep them fully indoors for two weeks before letting them out, to be honest though, that even sounds too short a time for me...

They really do need to be kept fully indoors for a long period of time if you really are intent on letting them out at some stage, I don't even know if I'd be risking it myself honestly, I think I'd be looking at alternatives like the leashes or harnesses that Molly has suggested.

Could you keep them indoors for the month that you and your partner stay at the in-laws' house and leash train them at the same time? Or is there some way to put up cat proof fencing at the house or a catio?

Learn about Suitable Environments for Cats | RSPCA

Moving house and travelling with cats | Blue Cross

Last edited: