Traveling With Cat

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I would love to get some advice from those who have traveled with their cat to other countries, particularly if your cat was an indoor/outdoor cat. I'm taking my cat to eastern Europe in less than a week and I'm a bit nervous so, would also love to hear some stories of how travel went for any of you. Thanks!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you check and see if there is a quarantine or not?
Yeah we did. We worked with the vet, however, were not allowed to board the plane with her because JetBlue does not allow pets to board if you have another airline on the itinerary. So we had to rebook with JetBlue on its own itinerary and the other two on separate itinerary. It's been quite frustrating and I've been looking for someone to foster her for the 3 months we will be gone. Taking her has already added about $1000 to the cost of this trip. Didn't know traveling could be so stressful.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking her has already added about $1000 to the cost of this trip.
Gosh I feel for you, traveling with pets is so complicated and expensive. When I researched possibly moving to Australia, it was $4,000 just for the quarantine, plus they make you do all sorts of expensive tests at the vet in the 6 months before you leave. I don't see why they still seize the cats for quarantine after all that, the cats obviously have no diseases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh I feel for you, traveling with pets is so complicated and expensive. When I researched possibly moving to Australia, it was $4,000 just for the quarantine, plus they make you do all sorts of expensive tests at the vet in the 6 months before you leave. I don't see why they still seize the cats for quarantine after all that, the cats obviously have no diseases.
Yeah a lot of the rules make no sense to me. My cat wouldn't have to be quarantined but would have to have another vet visit after landing. The health certificate alone costed me $350. $4,000 is a lot. I'm guessing you didn't do that?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$4,000 is a lot. I'm guessing you didn't do that?
No, I decided not to move. It would have been too expensive with the price of plane tickets & visa. Plus I would have to fly to California from NY to get a direct flight and spend the night with the cats in a hotel. Then at the airport, they make you take your cats out of the carrier to scan it. My cats are former ferals, I don't know how I'm supposed to manage that when they are terrified of strangers.