Traveling From United States To Canada With Foster Kitten

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I already know the basics of traveling between the US and Canada with cats (I lived in Canada when I got Zephyr and Maisie and brought them back with me to the US,) so you don't need to take the time to explain those things, but I have a couple of specific questions that concern the difference between normal pet transport and my current situation. :)

I need to take a quick trip from New York to Ontario (a travel duration of about two days) and my foster kitten needs to come with me because his special needs make it difficult to find pet sitting.

1.) Do I need to demonstrate that I have the right to transport him, and if so, what documentation constitutes proof of that? I am not his owner of record because he's a foster, but I am an employee of the organization as well as a foster parent. He is microchipped with the SPCA as the owner. Would just my business card with the SPCA logo be sufficient, or some type of letter from management or the board? I've never done a border crossing with a pet I didn't legally own. I kind of get the feeling they do care who the owner of record is - I was specifically asked that about Zephyr and Maisie, though no proof was required and it seemed more based on determining the accuracy of the health information than a custody concern - but not quite sure how to prove it for an animal.

2.) Froggy is not in good general health, but his issues are completely hereditary and pose no danger to humans or other animals. He is vaccinated for rabies and has a vaccination certificate, and I have access to his medical records with his diagnoses. Would this be sufficient to prove he is free of contagious disease, or is there some alternate type of documentation needed? Again, this is something I have never experienced because I have not done a border crossing with an animal who was not healthy.

He is nine months old, since I know some of the requirements are different for animals of different ages.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'm familiar with that info but I'm just not sure how it applies to Froggy. He clearly isn't in good general health, but it also should (I think?) be clear that his issue is the result of a deformity rather than something contagious. His enlarged esophagus is noticeable enough that a vet who has seen megaE before should be able to recognize it just by watching him breathe - but not every vet has seen megaE. I feel like having documentation would help, but I'm not quite sure what.

I can run it by his vet, though in my experience vets typically will not offer opinions about what travel documentation is needed because it's outside their area and they don't want to steer you wrong on a legal matter. Worth a try, though.

I'm also thinking I may just take him up to Niagara Falls on my next day off and see how it goes. That way if there are any issues we can get it figured out before the important trip.