Traveling For 2 Weeks Help

Smatts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

My husband and I will be leaving soon to travel to Europe to visit his family for Christmas. In doing so we will need to leave our cat home :( I am SO sad to be leaving him and we have lined up lots of help but my anxiety is also through the roof! We've left him for weekends with people stopping to feed him as well as for a week while on our honeymoon. During our week long vacation, my sister would come to the house and spend 2-3 hours a day studying or just being around and he did fine.

For our 2 week trip we have the following planned:
--Sister to spend the night 3-4 nights over the 14 day period.
--Family and close friends stopping in daily to feed him and occasionally hang our for an hour or two. (They will also be checking his litter and water and feeding him some of his favorite wet food :) ha!)
--Dry food is always out in a little dispenser for him and we give him small portion of wet food as a "treat." Our visitors will be providing this as well.
--We also have security cameras that double as my kitty cams :)

I feel like I am as prepared as can be but still so worried since he is such a loving and social cat -- (my natural anxiety doesn't help the situation).

I guess I just need the reassurance that everything with be OK and that he won't be too lonely...

Thanks in advance!

**I should also note that my husband and I do work outside of the home and are often busy on the weekends. So it's not like we are constantly with him each day**

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have it sorted. Plenty of people for him to interact with and who will spoil him. Cats sleep at lot when it is quiet so I'm sure he will be fine. He will be in his own home where everything is familiar so I dont think you need to worry. Just enjoy your trip and spoil him rotten when you return home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! As long as your cat is accustomed to all of the people who will be taking care of him, he will miss you but should be OK. If there is anyone who he doesn't know, get the familiar with each other first.

Also, like my cat, Feeby, she has a recliner she likes to sleep in. So, when we used to leave her and had my neighbor come over twice a day to feed/play with her/change her litterbox he often found her in the recliner - as if it were a comfort to her while we were not there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smatts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like you have it sorted. Plenty of people for him to interact with and who will spoil him. Cats sleep at lot when it is quiet so I'm sure he will be fine. He will be in his own home where everything is familiar so I dont think you need to worry. Just enjoy your trip and spoil him rotten when you return home.

Thank you so much!

Smatts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! As long as your cat is accustomed to all of the people who will be taking care of him, he will miss you but should be OK. If there is anyone who he doesn't know, get the familiar with each other first.

Also, like my cat, Feeby, she has a recliner she likes to sleep in. So, when we used to leave her and had my neighbor come over twice a day to feed/play with her/change her litterbox he often found her in the recliner - as if it were a comfort to her while we were not there.
Thank you so much!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that he's done very well when being left for a long weekend would make me happy and relax a little, because you've been gone for a few days and came home to no problems, so you should both feel a little better when you're out of the country for a long period of time.
Just make sure that everyone knows to contact you ASAP (if possible) with any concerns and make sure they know the name, number of his vet and where they're located...just in case.
I think your bases are more than covered. It sounds like you attacked this with a perfect game plan and should be able to enjoy your Christmas. :wave3:

Smatts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact that he's done very well when being left for a long weekend would make me happy and relax a little, because you've been gone for a few days and came home to no problems, so you should both feel a little better when you're out of the country for a long period of time.
Just make sure that everyone knows to contact you ASAP (if possible) with any concerns and make sure they know the name, number of his vet and where they're located...just in case.
I think your bases are more than covered. It sounds like you attacked this with a perfect game plan and should be able to enjoy your Christmas. :wave3:

Thank you so much! I love this community! You all are so helpful!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
:yeah:
It's also a good idea to give your vet the names of the people who are taking care of your cat.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
During our week long vacation, my sister would come to the house and spend 2-3 hours a day studying or just being around and he did fine.
Just make sure that she's comfortable with those come over to sit her. Best is that they come many times before you leave for your holidays so that she can get accustomed to them when they cone over and not get a shock that a stranger coming into the house.

I did that because my holidays were planned before my boy was with us. So it was an unexpected arrangement.

Yes, this is important. I left my vet's name card behind and of course, I left money behind too just in case. Sometimes emergencies cause quite a bit of cash.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure that she's comfortable with those come over to sit her. Best is that they come many times before you leave for your holidays so that she can get accustomed to them when they cone over and not get a shock that a stranger coming into the house.

I did that because my holidays were planned before my boy was with us. So it was an unexpected arrangement.

Yes, this is important. I left my vet's name card behind and of course, I left money behind too just in case. Sometimes emergencies cause quite a bit of cash.
I'll add to the excellent idea of leaving emergency cash behind.
Unless you trust this person 100%, ask to see receipts (itemized if possible). It's a sad fact that people will happily suck down money like candy if someone trusts them to do the right thing with it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You have to trust this person a 100% else would you trust leaving your cat with them? It's not only cash that goes missing, many things in the house can go missing too and that person has your keys :eek3:

Else, a little more troublesome is to leave some cash at the vet and tell them that you are going away and should anything happen to your cat, you have first preference and they'll treat your cat as there's money already with them and balance will be paid when you comes back if the bill did exceed your deposit.

Best is to have your own family members first to look after your cat and next will be best friends.