Traveling EU with a FIV+ cat?

JuanMontero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody
I'm preparing a travel to Spain with my wife and our two cats, but one of them worries me a lot cause he is FIV+. His health es wonderful, but I don't know if his condition supposes an inbility to enter into EU space. Do you know any successfull attempt of traveling Europe with a FIV+ cat? What I have found in my research is a kind of policy void: the mandatory international health certificate refers primarily to rabies vaccine but there's no references to FIV.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have personal experience with this, but found these websites which might be of some help.

International Pet Travel - BringFido
EU rules on travelling with pets and other animals in the EU
Pets and International Travel - United States Department of State

I completely see the point you are making as I have found only rabies vaccines as the cause for concern but am not sure how much is open to interpretation along the way.

Closest I have ever come to this is having my rescue puppy flown out here from MO years ago. He had mange and his clearance had to state that he was recovered from it. The person who brought him out to me so that he could fly in the cabin said that no one checked the certificate in MO or CA but just waved her through with him. Not something you want to bank on though.

One of those sites recommended contacting the US embassy for a start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JuanMontero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice :) In fact I'm already familiar with the health pet policy that you suggest to me. As I mentioned earlier it refers to general health conditions of pets -and rabies vaccines- as requierments to enter EU space, but nothing on VIF+ cats. I even got in touch with Madrid airport veterinary staff and they give me contradictory information. One of the members of the staff told me that allowance of departure for international traveling pets belong to the jurisdiction of the local authorities of my country, and other staff member told me that cats must be absolutely free from deseases. It's a conundrum. That's why I wonder if anybody had faced this problem earlier :(

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter traveled to the UK from the US with her hubby and dog a year ago. Obviously not a FIV cat but she had a lot of restrictions to follow and they gave her a very short time frame, (I believe 48 hrs.), between her departure and the vet's approval. She also needed some type of stamp/seal from the state she lived in. I'm a little fuzzy on the specs but can ask her for more info. if it would help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JuanMontero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughter traveled to the UK from the US with her hubby and dog a year ago. Obviously not a FIV cat but she had a lot of restrictions to follow and they gave her a very short time frame, (I believe 48 hrs.), between her departure and the vet's approval. She also needed some type of stamp/seal from the state she lived in. I'm a little fuzzy on the specs but can ask her for more info. if it would help you.
Thank you! But the problem is that UK have a pet importation policy diffrent from that of EU. :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 I know you are in Italy, but do you have any insight into this? I remember that you crossed borders in the EU with your cat who received medical care in Belgium?