Traveling 10 Hours With Cat In Carrier.

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys i need abit of help for when it comes to travelling with a large cat ( 5 kilos) for 10 hours ( plane, car, bus included). Last time when we first moved, it was extremelly stressful for him as we didnt have enough time to get him accustomed to his new carrier and he was freaking out and crying throughout most of our journey even under the influence of the vets medication that was supposed to calm him down. I dont want that to happen again. It was a terrible experience. Now, i have got him abit more used to carriers and travelling but i am going to have to give him something once again. Last time i fed him the night before travel and he used the litterbox in the morning. Should i be feeding a cat in a 10 hour journey? Should i be giving water or is it going to want to use the bathroom in the carrier. What medication works for you guys and your cats?

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would contact your vet and ask for a slightly sedating medication. I moved only an hour away last year and needed to transport 6 cats. My vet gave a type of antihistamine that made them all really drowsy.

If the carrier is large enough you could find a travel size litter box. I would not feed the cat during travel. You could offer some water if you plan to stop and take breaks. Just be sure when you reach your destination that you offer plenty of water and fresh food.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would also do a test run of the medication to make sure it works as expected. Some cats (like people) can react differently than expected and it is important to know before you are getting on the plane.