Travel advice

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

As you know, about three months ago we adopted siblings Cocó (girl) and Kylo (boy). They are now mischievous but loving 5 months old kittens. They eat well, they are sociable and curious, so no behavior problems to start with.

However, we are moving! We currently live on an island, and we are moving to the mainland in a couple of weeks. We'll do the trip on a ferry, and they must travel on cat carriers. As there are no rooms in this particular boat, and the company doesn't allow pets to travel with their owners, they will be travelling on a designated pet zone.

I asked our vet for advice, and she recommended the following:

1) Better if they go in separate carriers
2) Give them something to eat (not too much) about 2-3 hours before the trip
3) Spray a bit of Felyway on the carrier before putting them inside
4) Put a small box or container inside with litter so they can use it if needed

The company told us both cats can be on the same carrier or travel on different, they are okay with both options. This is the issue that bothers us the most. They usually sleep close, and they are pretty bonded, so maybe it would be better if they go in the same carrier. However, the carrier is not too big, so they could end up stressed maybe? And if they both go on the same carrier, maybe the shoebox cover or whatever we use for litter will make them uncomfortable.

The trip is 5 hours, and then a 30 minute car ride to our new home.

So are you ok with our vet's advice, or would you have them travel on the same carrier? Any other advice? Thanks for your help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have them travel in separate carriers. Even the most loving of cats can turn really aggressive during something so stressful as this and they may tear each other up. A small litter tray would be good too for that long of trip. But I would bet they will wet the carrier. You might want a small used blanket inside to keep them dry. There are 'calming' treats on amazon that work, I don't give the full dose. You might include a T-shirt or something worn from you to give them a scent they might take comfort from. This is going to be very stressful for them, but not as bad as what we imagine. I stressed for weeks about our move and my three were in a carrier for a short time. They adjusted to the new place in an amazingly short time. all the luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. The last thing they need is crowding that causes extra stress. It isn't for THAT long, and you can request that their crates be placed next to each other, so that they can hear and smell each other.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a single carrier is the better option if you are say driving 15 minutes to the vet. However, if you have to leave them in a separate section of the boat, potentially with other animals nearby which can scare them even more, then obviously everyone is right, you have to do separate carriers as the risk of them fighting is too high.

Just keep in mind that you might have some non-recognition aggression when you get to the new home. That is where if a cat has been somewhere with a bunch of strange smells, especially but not limited to the smell of other animals, they come home smelling different and one cat acts like they don't know the other with growling, hissing and even fighting. Its most common with a vet or groomer visit. Here, to the extent there are other pets in this area of the boat, and maybe even if there aren't, you might get this. So prepare -- have their favorite blankets/towels ready to "rescent" the cats by rubbing on them before you put them together again. Maybe let them chill in their carriers for 30 minutes in a quiet empty room of the new house before you do the rescenting -- if you try it when they are still super stressed, you could get attacked or otherwise make things worse.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The first time I traveled 3 hours with 2 kittens who were bonded I put them in separate carriers. They cried and howled for the first hour until I stopped and put them together. Then they curled up and slept the rest of the way.

I've also frequently driven 6-7 hours to cat shows without any issues.

For kittens you could put a puppy pad in the carrier in case of accidents. You can put a small litter box in the car and let the kittens out to use it. Just make sure all widows and doors are closed and locked so no one can accidentally open the doors while the kitties are out of the carrier(s).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!

Yes, it really makes sense to have them in separate crates for this trip. I'll keep in mind the possibility of non-recognition aggression and have some of their used blankets to use after a cooldown if we see they are reacting this way.

As for doing their things during the trip, the puppy pad is a great idea too. I don't think the small tupper/shoebox with litter will fit perfectly, and they surely will drop their things out of it...!

He is very vocal during car rides to the vet (he is very vocal, in fact, might have some Siamese in him!), but they are always super fine after coming back. They are both curious and very sociable, coming to greet avery visitor (friends, family, the plumber, delivery riders...) so I'm sure they'll be fine after some hours on our new home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH! Before you move, today if possible, throw an old sheet over a piece of furniture that they like to lounge on. Let them shed all over it, and right before you leave, cut it into squares, about 18 inches is fine. Fold those, fur side in, and tuck in a plastic bag. Keep that close on the trip. When you get to the new home, place 2-3 of these fabric squared (unfolded) in each room. That way they smell themselves all over the house, and adjusting will be easier.

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that tip too! Definitely, we'll try to have these small patches of fabric ready :)

I'll let you know how it went in a few days. Thank you all!

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

We moved last week, so here I am to tell how it went. And the truth is it went perfectly fine!

The whole process could have been extremely stressful for Cocó and Kylo: not only we moved and they had to travel on a ferry for 5 hours, but the night before we were sleeping on a hotel, not on our old house...

They both were pretty calm at home when the people from the company came to take all the boxes and furniture. We kept them on our bedroom with the door closed and they mostly slept all day, eating when we served them and that's it: no crying and no hiding, they just slept on top of my suit cover bag :p

We had bought another carrier so they could travel separated. In the evening, we had them enter their respective carriers, put them on the car and drove to the hotel. They cried during that trip, as they always do (they don't really like car rides). Once we got to our hotel room, which was a big open space instead of a small room, they immediately went out to explore the room, hiding sometimes for a minute or two under the bed or behind a desk, but pretty interested in sniffing all our bags and surveying the bed and closets. They ate well and they slept with us (something they rarely do as we usually close our door at night).

We got up very early, gave them a bit to eat, and while we waited, they didn't have any interest in using the litter, so we had to make them enter their carriers after having sprayed Feliway some minutes earlier. Again they were crying during the ride to the ferry and while I parked inside. They kept crying even when I put their carriers in the designated pet area, which was something like this but in wood and with wooden doors. I put them in the same unit, their carriers close to one another so they would be separated but close to feel they were not alone. As they were still crying, I was afraid I hadn't sprayed enough Feliway!

We were not allowed to go see them during the trip. After maybe 6-7 hours (we got them early and the ferry was delayed) I could pick them up -they were completely silent until I opened the wooden door, when they started crying. They didn't stop until we stopped the car almost an hour later at our new home!

And there... I was bringing bags and boxes from the car and wasn't there, but my wife and mother-in-law wanted to give them time to cool down and everything... but they just exited their carriers calmly and jumped to eat and drink! They didn't show any sign of non-recognition aggression, they weren't really stressed by the new room or apartment, as they quickly asked to explore the rest of the house.

That was on Thursday, and since then, nothing has changed: everything is fine. They are happy, they play, they eat, they sleep together....

To be honest, I was kind of anxious during the ferry trip, feeling they would be very stressed, even sick, and that the whole experience would take days to be forgotten. To see that they both took it so well... whoa, that was great. They are lovely and great, not the most affectionate kittens out there, yes, but I'm very grateful for how adventurous and resistant to these kind of changes they seem to be.

So, long story short:

- Having separate carriers was a great idea
- Feliway maybe helped
- Don't really worry about litter or the cats doing their things: we put a small box with litter inside their carriers, but they never used it and they just kicked it and sort of played with it when most stressed
- Anything to help them feel close to home, themselves or you will help: old blankets, old shirts... even if you don't see clear results, they don't hurt

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice!