Traumatizing To Take A Cat For A Bath At A Groomers?

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So my kitty Honeybun got fleas... shes been treated, but she has some flea dirt still. I'd like to bring her to the groomers but just the idea of her not knowing whats going on, being held in a sink and washed against her will... i dont want her to be upset/scared/traumatized.

Legit fear, or am i being an overly sensitive snowflake, shes a cat, she'll be fine?

I'd rather not bathe her myself, i try not to ever force her to do anything against her will.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So my kitty Honeybun got fleas... shes been treated, but she has some flea dirt still. I'd like to bring her to the groomers but just the idea of her not knowing whats going on, being held in a sink and washed against her will... i dont want her to be upset/scared/traumatized.

Legit fear, or am i being an overly sensitive snowflake, shes a cat, she'll be fine?

I'd rather not bathe her myself, i try not to ever force her to do anything against her will.
I think it depends on the groomer and if they also take dogs. Most do. The one time I took my girls to a groomer, they were also grooming dogs in the room. It didn't go well at all. They tried to bathe them in the tub (separately of course) and they wanted nothing to do with it. Lilith wouldn't even let them do the dry shampoo on her. I bathe them myself in the stall shower. I find it much easier than a tub because they cannot get out and they know it. They just whine a lot. I make sure everything is in place and ready when I bring them in. I know I look ridiculous in the shower fully dressed but it's for my own safety. :lol:

They may not like it but it's for their own good. I try to keep it to a minimum and when I get them in there I try to make it quick.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats never need to be bathed unless it is horrible. Cats are very ckean by nature and absolutely hate change and strange places. You might try a dry shampoo and a good brushing yourself, it would be MUCH less traumatizing.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats never need to be bathed unless it is horrible. Cats are very ckean by nature and absolutely hate change and strange places. You might try a dry shampoo and a good brushing yourself, it would be MUCH less traumatizing.
Especially if they are short haired. Long haired cats are another story. My girls are like furry swiffers. They pick up everything and do need to be bathed every now and then. I do it myself and we have built that level of trust so that they know I'll make it as quick as I can.

Lilith was so badly behaved at that groomers that we were "asked" to not come back. :rolleyes2:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Lilith! I know my Casper was that way at the vets, he was the only cat in my vet's history he couldn't pill, it was amazing how strong a 14 pound cat can be!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Lilith! I know my Casper was that way at the vets, he was the only cat in my vet's history he couldn't pill, it was amazing how strong a 14 pound cat can be!
Lilith was barely 5 pounds at the time. It took THREE grown men to just give her the sanitary shave. She's a feisty one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shes medium haired, i try to brush her but she, um... declines that activity, lol. Shes been pretty quiet in this heat tho, maybe i could try again today. I dont believe in bathing cats like you do dogs, but like others have said, sometimes they just get dirty and need a bath.

She lets me wipe her with a wet cloth when its hot-i mean a soaking wet cloth... maybe i could just soak her fur really good & towel dry her.. still debating but i think ive decided against the groomers.

Thanks for the opinions :)

Sararainmaker

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I worked as a cat groomer many MANY years ago, I can say that for the most part the cats were not happy being in a strange environment that smells of strange animals and with strange people, and this was even before they got bathed. Most of the cats that were brought in didn't even NEED to be bathed, though a few did have flea issues. Also, you have to hope that the groomer uses safe products, if you DO take your cat in, ask what they use and look up whether it's safe (Pet products are not held to the same safety regulations as those for human use).

In the many years of being owned by my own cats, I have only had to bathe any of them twice...

That being said, if you put about 1-2 inches of room temperature water in the tub and turn the running water off, it takes some of the fear and shock away. Also if you remain calm, and act like this is something they will enjoy it can help, and they actually might enjoy it themselves, (despite popular myth, cats don't actually hate water).

Also, as stated above, be sure that the shampoo you are using is safe. Do not use human shampoos, a lot of things that are safe for humans are not safe for pets. also - NOT all cat/pet shampoos are safe, and some of the chemicals they use can be toxic in larger quantities or used over a long period of time. I am honestly not up to date on the best shampoos to use, but I am sure there is someone more up-to-date and knowledgeable than I am here who can chime in on the best products to use.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rather than a groomers, ask your vet if they wash cats. Most do. They will be able to sedate your cat for her comfort, if it becomes necessary. They will also be there with the proper medical help if the stress does bad things to her. I certainly wouldn't send her to a groomer until I was absolutely sure her heart was in really good shape.