Trauma after vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yesterday I took my 14 year old diabetic cat Stella to the vet for a routine blood and urine test. She has been treated for diabetes for 2 years and aside from that is a healthy cat. She has mild neuropathy in the back legs which does not prevent her from walking around. When they were done with the tests, the vet came out and said that they had to give her some oxygen and were letting her rest as she sort of "flattened out" as she put up a big fight when they tried to get the specimens. No, I did not ask what the medical terminology for "flattened out" was because I did not expect that it was serious. When we got home she was upset, but I assigned that to the vet's visit, gave her some food which she nibbled at and let her rest in her bed. This morning when I went to feed her, I instantly noticed that the third eyelid was exposed about 1/3 to 1/2 on one eye and she was fussy, not quite herself. I gave her the food and brushed her, talked to her, gave her the insulin, and I thought that she was on the road to getting over the visit with the exception of the fact that the eyelid was exposed of course. I then did some errands and when I got home she was moaning, making low gutteral sounds, and raising her back end almost as if she needed to poop but it was not from that. I can hear her breathing slightly heavily, but given that this appears to be progressing to something, I am not sure where it will lead and whether or not all these symptoms will become more pronounced. I called the vet and told them that she was in distress and that I needed to bring her in, so I have an appointment in about 2 hours. Any comments or clues will be appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That term in humans is generally referring to stoppage of the heart or a break in heart rhythm. I sure hope I am wrong about this being used by vets as well. I would ask if she had a cardiac event - possibly brought on by extreme anxiety. Please, please keep us posted and let me know I am totally off-base.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In reference to human patients normal a flattened effect or flattening out means a reduction of an emotional response. Often when people take anti depressants they are described as having a flattened effect in that they are no longer depressed but they also no longer feel any other emotions. In reading what you said I think what the vet meant is that your cat had been very upset, anxious, etc and then calmed down, or potentially stopped showing any type of emotional response at all. There really is no way of knowing without asking the vet. It may not even be a medical term, just a saying that the vet uses. Recently our 12 year old cat went to the vet and they took a stool sample from her. As a woman I would describe what they used to do it like the tool that they use on a pap smear and she was not happy. For about two weeks she would arch her back and hiss at us if we tried to pet her (totally out of character) but it passed. Since your cat is diabetic though I would not rule out the fact that the blood taken or one of the tests effected her. Did they give her any type of vaccine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you both for your very insightful replies...and so quickly. Stella became more agitated after I posted, and suddenly went into a gagging type seizure and died in my arms. I am still in the stunned stage of all this which is probably why I can even respond, but both of your replies really do offer me insight into what might have happened. If she had some cardiac event yesterday brought on by anxiety, or some loss of response, those are probably both key clues to what happened. These points do offer me some comfort as I was postulating all sorts of awful scenarios which might have transpired, even though I have gone to this vet for years and this is certainly not anything that has happened before. :redheartpump:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am SO sorry for Stella and you. :alright:For what it is worth, it is comforting to know that her last moments were in your arms - I hope that is somewhat comforting to you. 💔

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you again. When we got to the vet's with her remains, the doctor asked to speak to me and did confirm that stress brought on by the visit could have prompted a heart attack. We talked for quite a while and discussed what I saw and I do believe that it was a heart attack or clot. Since then, I have spoken to several friends who confirmed that diabetes, especially when neuropathy is involved, can cause an unexpected heart attack in humans or animals. While I miss her terribly, I do feel as if I have some closure and will be able to deal with the suddeness of her passing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know what you found out. I am glad at least you have an idea what happened. It doesn't hurt any less, I know, but it does help with closure. Again so sorry. RIP little Stella.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
fionasmom fionasmom I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug2: Threads are locked after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to up please consider starting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, Stella. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.