Trash can to put cat doo bags

lemcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking buying a trash can with a lid so that the smell doesn't come out.

Currently, after scooping the doo and pee clumps into a bag, I immediately go out and put it in the dumpster, which isn't too far but far enough that I would save a trip if I can. (I live in an apartment complex).

But I recently had an idea that if there was a trash can that I could use mainly to put cat doo bags in it, and then after putting in 3 or more bags in there I could then take them to the dumpster and throw them away in a batch all at once.

Would it work? Does anyone else do this? Which trash can would work the best?
I guess aluminum would be best if you need to clean it often and don't want the smell to soak into the material?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Litter genie. Hands down the best litter trash can. You put in the waste, pull out the slide section and down the waste goes. About once a week you tie off the bag and take it to the trash. I got mine for free as a give away and was really skeptical about it for a good year before finally using it. I wish I had started using it sooner.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a doggy bag to collect 'stuff' from the litter box and then knot it at the top. I place all of them in a plastic garbage bag that is in a standard kitchen waste receptacle with a lid, and dump the garbage bag once a week. I have never had an odor in my house from doing it this way.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a nappy bag and tie the top then up it in a small rubbish bin that fits under the sink and empty it a couple of times a week. There is never any smell.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any trash can with a tight fitting lid and small enough to be easily cleaned as needed would work. You can put a box of baking soda in the trash can to absorb odors. You could but a Litter Genie but it's basically just a trash can that uses special rolls of bags.

I just put the bags of waste into a regular trash can with lid. I take the trash out twice a day, once in the morning as I'm heading off to work and then again before bed time. I have a trash chute on my floor so it's not a big deal to take the trash out. The smell in the trash can is minimal when I take the bag out before bed time.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking buying a trash can with a lid so that the smell doesn't come out.

Currently, after scooping the doo and pee clumps into a bag, I immediately go out and put it in the dumpster, which isn't too far but far enough that I would save a trip if I can. (I live in an apartment complex).

But I recently had an idea that if there was a trash can that I could use mainly to put cat doo bags in it, and then after putting in 3 or more bags in there I could then take them to the dumpster and throw them away in a batch all at once.

Would it work? Does anyone else do this? Which trash can would work the best?
I guess aluminum would be best if you need to clean it often and don't want the smell to soak into the material?
I recommend the litter genie, I got that for Merlin and Quinn since I had to go to regular litter again for Merlin and Quinn has stopped using the cat genie toilet.
I got the giant one and now I don’t have to carry out bags of poop and pee all the time, just twice per week. I was flushing M poop and oee and Q poop but I stopped during Merlin’s quarantine, and put his in plastic bags.

After the quarantine when they both started using his box and Quinn abandoned the cat genie I mostly put it all in bags etc.

I am still not sure why with three boxes that I have, a top loader a big hooded one and the Cat Genie they will only use the big hooded one which was Merlin’s box to start.

It contains the smell quite well with a plastic bag system inside. I hope to go back to the cat genie at some point.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter genie. Hands down the best litter trash can. You put in the waste, pull out the slide section and down the waste goes. About once a week you tie off the bag and take it to the trash. I got mine for free as a give away and was really skeptical about it for a good year before finally using it. I wish I had started using it sooner.
Yep it is great! I still prefer my cat genie though😹 no pee scooping but I scoop the poop even though you don’t have to.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I scoop the litter into dog poop bags (the Earth Rated pantry pack of XL bags are great for this since they’re wide enough to fit the litter scoop unlike most dog bags), tie them off, and put them in my kitchen trash can. It’s a relatively small can so I take it out frequently.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment and Got home today..and looked off my balcony and there was dog poop..I dont have a dog..Wish who's ever dog did it..the owner would find out how to use poop bags:argh: