Traps- what kind?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've noticed there's several kinds of traps- and I am confused on which to use for what situation!

What would be the best kind of traps for cats, that would deter other animals from entering, like squirrels or other small animals?

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Awesome question!  I looove talking trapping.  :)  There are a number of different trap manufacturers and trap models out there.  I'm going to speak to the two that I have the most experience with, which are also coincidentally the two that I like the best.

The two trap brands that I use are Tomahawk and Tru-Catch.  For Tomahawks, I typically use the Tomahawk 606 model.  For Tru-Catch, I really like the Tru-Catch 30LTD model.  This style of trap - rectangular, open door that closes when a cat steps on the trip plate - can be referred to as 'humane box traps.'  There are some differences between the Tomahawk and Tru-Catch brands, and pros and cons, to each.  I like and use them both equally, but I think it's important to know the differences anyways, especially if any of you are looking to purchase your own traps.

The Tomahawk 606 is a solid trap, and one that I first learned to trap with.  The Tomahawk 606 weighs 7 pounds, and measures 26L x 9W x 9H.  They have a back door which can be completely removed, which is great for the 'R' part of TNR - it makes releasing the cats a lot easier!  Tomahawk just recently added a powder coating option to their traps; they used to only be available in plain galvanized metal/wire mesh (which was still fine), but I think the powder coating makes the traps a bit easier to clean.  The Tomahawk traps' front door - the door the cats walk through and that closes when they trigger the trip plate - closes a bit more forcefully than the Tru-Catch models.  The benefit of this is that you can hear the traps closing from a good distance away, but it may also bop the cat on the rear end. For a step-by-step picture guide to how the Tomahawk 606 is set, go here.

There is another variation on the 606 - the 606NC - that is another option.  It's bigger than the plain 606 model, which can be good in terms of the trapped cats having more room while they're in the trap, but it also means it might be harder to fit as many traps in your vehicle.  This model also has two handles instead of one, which I personally do not like.  Sometimes it can be tough to find both handles under a trap cover!  But that's just my personal preference.  :)

The Tru-Catch 30LTD is another great trap.  It weighs 9 pounds, and measures 30L x 9W x 11H.  They also have a back door, but it is attached to the trap and cannot be completely removed.  Benefit is that you won't lose it!  These traps are powder coated, and easy to clean.  The front door closes a bit more gently than the Tomahawk one does.  The particular style of the front door on the Tru-Catch traps is also a huge benefit if you happen to live in an area where you may trap a lot of wildlife.  You can simply roll the trap over onto the top, and the rings that hold the door closed fall, the door opens, and the wildlife can exit the trap at their leisure (without you holding the door open).  For a step-by-step guide to how the Tru-Catch 30LTD is set, go here.

So, those are the two traps that I use when conducting TNR - the Tomahawk 606 and and Tru-Catch 30LTD.  Either of those will work well, and they're what you probably want to start with when beginning TNR at a colony site.  If there are some especially smart, trap-savvy cats, then you may want to check out these hard to trap tips.  One of those tips is to use a different style of trap, called a 'drop trap.'

Picture Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner.  Now, picture Wile E Coyote setting up a box propped up by a stick with a string tied to it, and putting some bird seed under the box.  When Roadrunner goes under the box to eat the birdseed, Wile E Coyote pulls the string and the box captures the Roadrunner.  That's basically what a drop trap is!  I'm going to plug the Alley Cat Allies' drop trap model - found here - because I've used it many times and like it rather well.  It's sturdy enough that I've had cats walk on top of it while it's set and it didn't fall.  It's collapsible which makes transporting it easy.  It's very easy to set up, and the trap door used for getting a cat from the drop trap to a box trap (for transporting the cat to the clinic/vet's office for surgery) is well-designed.  There are a bunch of pictures of what the drop trap looks like here, if anyone is interested!  A drop trap is very useful if there's a cat or two who just really aren't interested in going in a box trap, or if you're trying to target one unsterilized/uneartipped cat in a colony of mostly sterilized/eartipped cats.

Whew, this was a long answer!  :)  Hopefully that helps?  Let me know if I missed anything.  And hopefully the original question prompts other folks to ask more questions about the equipment used in TNR!

-Amanda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome response! Especially for a person who has never TNR before. Thanks!!

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Well now I fully expect you to get out there and start conducting TNR!  :)

-Amanda 

dallastrapper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
try catch are the best!  I use the 30 ltd mostly and they continue to work year after year where the silver traps eventually   stop working and have to be adjusted from being accidentally bent from stacking and carrying.

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Yeah, they're pretty solid!  Both trap brands are great, and also have great customer service available if you do have questions or problems down the line.

-Amanda

melissa laninfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love the extra large trip plate on the Tomahawk traps. That way, you don't have a cat enter the trap, eat all the bait, and never trip the plate. This happens all the time with our Safeguard traps and Haveahart traps. Have you seen the super fancy manual traps with the remote controlled door? Those are so awesome :-)

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Agreed!  Sometimes it still happens, but those are usually the extra-savvy cats.  :)  I have seen those traps, but I've never used one!  If it gets to the point where I have a cat who won't go in a regular box trap, I usually skip to using a drop trap.  But I would definitely like to try a remote-controlled box trap some day!

-Amanda