Trapping

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that I rescued as a feral kitten that after two years I was still not able to touch. The first time he escaped (from the second floor porch - pulling the spline out of the screen) I was able to get him with a humane trap and remote trigger by placing the trap in view of the porch. He has escaped for a second time ( I stapled the screen but he must've gotten out the door) and I've tried a trap with step trigger, and a trap with a remote trigger with a video camera where I almost had him, but because of a three second delay in the video feed, I triggered the door too late. I can't use a drop trap because if he sees me, he won't approach.

I started to Google other trap options, but the sites that came up were too upsetting. Does anyone have experience with some sort of a net or have any other ideas? Unfortunately he's not overly food motivated. I put food and water out for him and I know he's eating it and as a last resort I could withhold it for a night to coax him in to the trap, but I hate to do that.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't recommend using a net. It's too easy for a cat to injure themselves, or for you to get injured.

What floor do you live on? If you leave a window open and food indoors could you coax him back in that way? Some of my semi-ferals get out and are gone for a couple of days at a time, but they come back eventually. If he is staying close to home he'll probably come back once he's had enough of running around outside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend using a net. It's too easy for a cat to injure themselves, or for you to get injured.

What floor do you live on? If you leave a window open and food indoors could you coax him back in that way? Some of my semi-ferals get out and are gone for a couple of days at a time, but they come back eventually. If he is staying close to home he'll probably come back once he's had enough of running around outside
Thanks for the reply and the info. on using a net. I'm on the second floor and my porch is screened, but I've seriously considered opening a hole and building a cat ladder in the hopes he'll climb back up. And the others don't climb down.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I know you must be concerned. I just had a similar situation with a cat that never would go into a trap to begin with. I just built a catio for her and have opened a window for her to access through the top floor of the catio. I had to shut the other cats out of that room. Screen is something that just won’t hold up to a cat. There is a wire mesh that will. Hardware cloth is what it is called. I used that on the catio along with screen to keep cats in and bugs out. So far the neighborhood cats love the catio but the cat I am hoping to see has not come in. If she does go in, I am hoping to be able to shut the outside access door and that will leave her a door back into the house. I think that putting up a cat version of a ladder might work for you. Maybe with platforms along the way for safety. I have attracted a lot of cats by using catnip planted in hanging baskets. I have also used dried catnip to lead cats. You could try the catnip in a trap or use it to lead kitty back up. I hope you get kitty very soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the moral support. Sorry to hear about your guy. I've tried catnip, tuna, sardines, wet cat food etc....he's just not that food motivated. I need a remote control lizard - he can't resist a chase.

I know you've dealt with a lot of cats - have you ever taken in a feral kitten that still wasn't socialized after 2 years ? This guy is my first in this category.