Trapping Mom And Kittens - Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right, my fear is causing me to hesitate. I need to just get it done and hope for the best.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, "Just do it". You have to play it by ear and trust your instincts. The covering up thing is mainly for the mother after you trap her and while you are taking her to the vet, because she may freak out when trapped. Trapped cats left outside with out covering them up can die of stress, cats have very sensitive nervous systems.

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg! I did it! I trapped all 5 in the garage earlier this evening!!
Here's how it happened: my husband and I were headed out for dinner when I saw mama cat waiting to go in the garage for her evening meal. She always comes first by herself then brings the kittens. To be sure the kittens were nearby I looked in the neighbors yard and they were there. So I put out more food and I went in the house. Hubby went for a carry out ;). I sat in the back room and just watched and waited. Sure enough mama went in the garage first, then went into the neighbors yard. The kittens greeted her, and they sat there for a bit. I kept telling myself "stay calm, be patient". Mama got up and headed towards our yard. The kittens followed. I waited patiently and counted the kittens one by one as they ran into the garage "1,2,3,4". Mama hesitated, even glanced over her shoulder before she went in. I waited an extra second or two and VIOLA! Down came the door without anyone escaping! WHEW! What a relief! Now to plan on how to get them out. I imagine the traps would be best as I don't want to spend a month of climbing thru the window and coaxing them into a large crate/carrier. And there are a few good hiding places for the little buggers :).
In the meantime what should/shouldn't I be doing while they're in the garage (aside from feeding)? I know I need to avoid making eye contact with mama so she doesn't feel threatened. What else can I do to make them more comfortable with my presence?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo:

Super news! :jive:

They have litter box(es), food, water? Optional...soft places to sleep and some toys. I'd just let them chill out for one night and start fresh in the morning with the cat herding project.

Congratulations!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! That's great news! Looking forward to seeing this family get a shot at a great future thanks to you! :redheartpump::clap:

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:woohoo:

Super news! :jive:

They have litter box(es), food, water? Optional...soft places to sleep and some toys. I'd just let them chill out for one night and start fresh in the morning with the cat herding project.

Congratulations!
Yes, litter boxes, food, and water. I took in a playpen and laid a nice fluffy comforter in it. Also a small cat condo placed on a table, a few toys and one of those tunnels. I hung a lantern to give them some soft lighting at night.
When I checked on them last night before going to bed, Mama hissed and growled at me but it wasn't very threatening. She just went into a hiding spot with the kittens. I caught two of the kittens peeking around a corner to get a look at me. I just talked to them the entire time, made sure they had plenty of food, water, a clean litter box and called it a night. Spent some time with them this morning, gave them fresh food/water, and cleaned the box. Mama didn't hiss or growl quite as much as last night but they all still hid from me. So glad I have all of them in one spot and safe! :D

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yay! That's great news! Looking forward to seeing this family get a shot at a great future thanks to you! :redheartpump::clap:
thank you! Seeing them outside with mama doing her best to take care of her kittens was killing me. I knew I had to do something so they could have a better life :)

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on how to lure the kittens out from their hiding spots? I imagine some sort of food they can't resist might help. I have a large cage/crate set up in the garage. I've been using it as the feeding station. I'm hoping they'll come out to eat with me nearby so I can just close the door, but that might take some time. I had multiple traps but they were on loan and needed to be returned. I don't want to go out and buy 5 traps, but may consider it if that would be the quickest and easiest way to get them out of the garage. I could always return the traps after I use them and get my money back, right ;)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need five traps, just one (just empty the cat into your crate and catch the next one). Maybe you could borrow it from some other organization. Otherwise you could tie a string on the door of the crate so you can close it at a distance (if you can not get them to go in there when you are close). If you choose that method, practice it a few times so there is no hesitation when you pull the string. When you feed them, try to sit nearby so they get used to having you around and learn to trust you.

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't need five traps, just one (just empty the cat into your crate and catch the next one). Maybe you could borrow it from some other organization. Otherwise you could tie a string on the door of the crate so you can close it at a distance (if you can not get them to go in there when you are close). If you choose that method, practice it a few times so there is no hesitation when you pull the string. When you feed them, try to sit nearby so they get used to having you around and learn to trust you.
Thanks. I'd like to try getting them all at once in the crate. They're still afraid to come out of hiding when I'm in the garage but every now and then I catch one of kittens peeking at me. I hope they're learning to trust me so I can get them in the house :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, get some stinky seafood flavor canned food to tempt them. Tuna in oil, canned sardines and catnip are also good.

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's an update on mom and kittens I trapped in the garage.
After about 3-4 days of hiding every time I entered thru the window, they would slowly come out one by one while I was preparing their food, including mom! One kitten is much braver than the others. They will eat in my presence and in the large crate, although cautiously and not all at the same time. I almost had all 5 eating in the crate at the same but the shyest one hesitated. I'd like to give it a few more tries but if i can't get all of them in the crate at the same time then I should prob start using a trap. They're safe and I'm not worried but the sooner I get them out the better. Any suggestions / advice?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably don't need a trap. Just catch the mother and as many kittens as you can in the crate. Then move the crate in the house. Then use a cat carrier with food in it to trap the remaining kittens.

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You probably don't need a trap. Just catch the mother and as many kittens as you can in the crate. Then move the crate in the house. Then use a cat carrier with food in it to trap the remaining kittens.
Thanks! I'll see how it goes tonight and tomorrow. I'm off work all week so I have lots of time to work on getting them in the house :)

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, on second thought, catching as many as I can in the crate and taking it into the house may not be an option. The only way I could get the crate out would be by opening the main garage door. It's too big to go thru the window. I would risk someone getting out. So I think I would need to catch whoever I can in the crate, cover it to keep them calm (right?) then use a carrier or two for the others. Ideally I'd like to get mom and the two shyest kittens first.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, on second thought, catching as many as I can in the crate and taking it into the house may not be an option. The only way I could get the crate out would be by opening the main garage door. It's too big to go thru the window. I would risk someone getting out. So I think I would need to catch whoever I can in the crate, cover it to keep them calm (right?) then use a carrier or two for the others. Ideally I'd like to get mom and the two shyest kittens first.
Yes, that should work.

unbridledspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mission accomplished! I was able to get all 5 in the crate this morning and into the house!!! I'm so ecstatic! And even better news - momma is not feral at all. She let me pet her and scratch under her chin. I'm able to pet and pick up the kittens too. One is a little more afraid than the rest and will hiss but is OK after a few moments. I'm trying not to disturb them too much to allow them time to adjust but they are so darn cute and I'm so happy to have them inside
:hyper:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mission accomplished! I was able to get all 5 in the crate this morning and into the house!!! I'm so ecstatic! And even better news - momma is not feral at all. She let me pet her and scratch under her chin. I'm able to pet and pick up the kittens too. One is a little more afraid than the rest and will hiss but is OK after a few moments. I'm trying not to disturb them too much to allow them time to adjust but they are so darn cute and I'm so happy to have them inside
:hyper:
Oh. my. goodness!!!!

That is such great news!

:thumbsup: