Trapping - Manually Triggering The Trap (rather Than Step Plate)

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've had some success with the string on the trigger loop, but of course I need to be within a certain distance of the trap so that I can see that they are safely in. Which won't work in a lot of situations. Or in the case of a tiny kitten I was trying to catch, the trap wasn't anchored and pulling the string jerked the trap and scared the kitten rather than triggering the door.

Tomahawk has a remote trigger for around $125 which I considered, but they I found a DIY hack on Youtube which I may try to recreate. The base component is a remote control car door lock and the total cost to build is $30 per the creator. The video is titled "how to build a remote control trap for ferals."

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have heard of people using the one from Tomahawk or making one of their own. It would be beyond me to do that but I hope that it is successful for you. Rigging the trap that way is a better idea than investing in the so called kitten trap which is dicey to use. I have one and when I used it had to rig a string through a screen in my front room in order to make it work....so that sort of defeats the purpose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard of people using the one from Tomahawk or making one of their own. It would be beyond me to do that but I hope that it is successful for you. Rigging the trap that way is a better idea than investing in the so called kitten trap which is dicey to use. I have one and when I used it had to rig a string through a screen in my front room in order to make it work....so that sort of defeats the purpose.
I posted that the 17" Havahart was too small for even a tiny kitten. I think the 24" length would work, but because I want to be sure tails are in, I like the pull string or remote option.

e_l_green

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those of us less handy, use a nanny cam to watch for the kitten or cat in the trap. That way you can pull the string from a *long* ways away and from outside the line of sight of the trap. I'm in the security business so I use a security camera (accessed via an app on my phone) instead, in a temporary installation (a cinder block aimed at the trap in order to protect the camera and get it off the ground), but for most people a nanny cam is more accessible. I never even set eyes on the cat until the cat is trapped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For those of us less handy, use a nanny cam to watch for the kitten or cat in the trap. That way you can pull the string from a *long* ways away and from outside the line of sight of the trap. I'm in the security business so I use a security camera (accessed via an app on my phone) instead, in a temporary installation (a cinder block aimed at the trap in order to protect the camera and get it off the ground), but for most people a nanny cam is more accessible. I never even set eyes on the cat until the cat is trapped.
Didn't mean to be so lazy. Just googled it. Great idea. Thanks !!