Trapping Fail

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was trapping day, but even though the food was all the way at the back of the trap, the cat managed to eat 100% of it without stepping on the trigger. The trap was lined with newspaper. What should I try next time? Thicker newspaper, cardboard?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have MUCH better luck now with the 1/2 gallon milk jug half-filled with water to prop the door up way on the corner edge, tie a long cord to it, put in the food, and step way back. When the cat goes in, pull the cord, that's it! It was SO nice to trap the cat I wanted, or, one like my mama cat that was doing exactly what yours are doing. It was the only way I caught her. Make sure you have a blanket to throw over the trap and keep them quiet. Also don't do like I did one time and forget to unlatch the door to set it, make absolutely sure the door will drop. :paperbag:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you cover the trip bar inadvertently? This happens, so don't feel as if you are not being successful. Some cat just reach over the bar and eat. I agree that rigging the trap with a prop attached to a string is a good idea. I have caught young kittens this way (who were too light to trigger the bar).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I found out the trap I was using (Havahart) isn't the best, because it can actually injure the cat. Therefore I am borrowing a Tru Catch one from my city's TNR program. My next day to attempt trapping is Thursday! Wish me luck.

I do think the cat reached over the bar to eat. The food dish prob too big. I'll use a small lid next time. These cats are only motivated by kibble; they won't go in trap for fish or wet food. The weirdos. 💜

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so excited for the opportunity. I will put so much time and love into this endeavor. I dreamt about these guys three weeks before they showed up;. I know it sounds odd but it's true. I dreamt of these same cats with their face markings before I ever saw them. I dreamt that they were feral and coming to my porch for food, and that I loved them. And I dreamt that my Fright Nite had sent them.

And at that time, I was almost ready to adopt kittens, but then I had that dream and waited. I really hope I can make my dream come true by adopting them.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the Tru Catch traps. Do practice first to be sure it is working properly. I always set it and then use the end of a long utensil to reach inside and hit the trigger.

I also have an inside cat that loves to go into the trap. I just add a few treats and in he goes. I then know the trap is working properly.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I caught the solid tabby. Poor boy. I feel so bad. Vet appointment is tomorrow.

I borrowed a Tru Catch Fat Cat trap from my city's TNR program. It worked much better than the other trap I have.

So the plan is to keep him in safe room after neutering, to work with him, to tame him. I hope I'm doing the right thing. If there is one thing I know about this boy, it is that he loves kibble. This is the only way for me to guarantee he always has it, because I really do need to move back to my home state in a couple years and spend time with my parents. I have never taken a cat against his will before. But I don't want to abandon him and have to put my trust in neighbors.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best of luck! Make sure to keep a light blanket over most of the trap so he feels safe. Put a sign on it saying he is feral so no one gets bit. This will be a long drawn-out process, but it is worth it!

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
emelyssa emelyssa How are things going?
Drexl is fantastic. He is a perfect cat and loves being here. He is so affectionate and outgoing already. The only issue is that we have to introduce him to our dog very slowly, because he is having trouble getting used to the idea of a dog. He is curious and has wanted opportunities to sniff her face, but every time would hiss right in her face! This morning, though, he purred instead of hissing, though he still backed away after a minute or two. I say that's progress!

I caught the other feral cat, Brax, yesterday. He is in bed recovering from his neuter surgery.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are really coming along! Congratulations! PS hissing is normal, he is just warning the dog not to do anything adn is unsure of himself......

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yea!! It appears all is going really well! You did fantastic trapping and getting them used to inside!!!

Take your time with the dog. It will all work out.

Also do watch out for doors and windows. Since the cats are just freshly inside, they may still want to wander or bolt outside. Use caution with open windows and screens.