Trapping Cats For Spay And Neuter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Can outdoor cats who belong to people but don't have identification be mistaken for feral cats? I worry if that happened and the cat went in a trap for the food his/her caretakers would never see him/her again. Am I paranoid?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
People who do TNR are always very careful to release the cat as close to where he/she was trapped as possible, usually within 24 to 48 hours of trapping.

So yes, it's possible that a free roaming outdoor cat might be trapped and fixed if still intact, but they'd be able to find their way back home again.

It's always a good idea to put a collar on your cat if they go out. If people are trapping and re-homing cats that are friendly enough for a new home there is a chance you could lose you cat that way.

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Can outdoor cats who belong to people but don't have identification be mistaken for feral cats? I worry if that happened and the cat went in a trap for the food his/her caretakers would never see him/her again. Am I paranoid?
No, you are not paranoid, as the answer to your question is a most definite yes.

The real question becomes who is doing the trapping and for what purpose. If the cat is trapped because of a trap-neuter-return (TNR) program, then it will be returned to the location where it was trapped and the caretakers would see their cat again. But if it is trapped by animal control and taken to a shelter, and if it is considered feral, it might be euthanized at that shelter.

Obviously, the solution to this problem is to have some form of ID on the cat.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should get your cat chipped. If you put a color on the kitty with your phone or address, make sure it is a breakaway color, so it does not get caught on something and choke the kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Daisy is microchipped. I worry about the cats who live outside full-time.

Esther Mechler

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
You can check sites for the guidelines for Trap/Neuter/Return - If pople in your area are savvy about the way to do it right, the cat would be trapped, neutered or spayed and returned 24 hours later to his or her home area to be watched and cared for.