Trapped skittish stray with an old injury. Need advice on how to motivate an adopter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that I did not see your posts before now but fionasmom fionasmom has certainly done a wonderful job helping out! I read your thread and it touches my heart. I am an older rescuer with health issues too. I beat the bushes trying to find help at first with nearly all groups telling me that “orders ferals will not socialize.” Not true! I finally just started working with them myself. Mostly it takes time snd patience. They socialize to different degrees but almost every one of the many I brought in did socialize very well. Of the over a hundred, only one is still really skittish. Unadoptable? I lost count at 80 something that got homes. When COVID hit adoptions dropped off but I still got some in homes. I also had one get out. It actually turned her into a total lover! One thing I do that helped me is to use their carriers as their safe sanctuary. Everything good happened there. Treats, pets, catnip! Lol Sometimes I put the carrier in my lap. Brushing with a soft brush is a favorite activity with some. That happened there too. The carriers are out and open at all times. They are the beds the kitties learned were a great place. We did take short trips in the car with them in carriers too. I just wanted to stop in to say, don’t give up. Just when you least expect it, things can turn around. I found that photos of the kitties with happy expressions or just looking very relaxed brought others to love them as I did. Bravo! You are amazing and wonderful and she is beautiful. :hugs::clap2::goldstar:Please do keep us updated!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, also, have just found your thread! You've done wonderfully well thus far, and against the odds! You know, this is a really long shot, but there are some high school service organizations that are really big on community service, and looking for interesting projects. Perhaps a call to the school board to find out if there are any, then contacting their staff coordinator (teacher). It might be possible to have one or two young people come by an afternoon or so a week to just sit quietly with her and help her socialize. I'd imagine that any kid interested in a career with animals would jump at it...and the ones who are joining the service organizations at school are not trouble-makers.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that was critical input for me. I now know that she considers my house 'home base' and does NOT want to live outside. Honestly, the way she bolted made me wonder if she didn't want her freedom. Well, that was a big fat NO as I could tell from her behavior that she displayed on my deck (anxious) and her interested response to my voice and to the smells inside. She ran straight to her room and got on her perch. She wants to live inside and wants company. I have spoken with the rescue and I will keep her as a foster since, moving her to another foster after a trauma, would not be helpful at all. I also feel more confident in fostering her now since I really don't believe she'll attempt that again. She was so grateful to be back inside and I could also see that it wasn't 'all' about the food...she wanted company and 'petting' reassurances. We both learned a lot with this experience. Thanks so very much for the support again :-)
:hellosmiley::hithere::clap::clap2::clap2::dance::bliss::catrub::jive::woohoo::clapcat::dancingblackcat::grouphug::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::heartshape::hangin:You are a wonderful person. 😽:catlove::catrub:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chris Ekstedt Chris Ekstedt : I've also just found your thread, and want to say thank you for all you're doing for Rosie. I didn't read every word of every post, but did worry when I saw she'd escaped, and was so happy to see she came back inside on her own.

Sorry the rescue isn't being more helpful finding an adopter for Rosie. Do they know about her getting outside, and then coming back in on her own. That might help them to believe in her adoptability.

Rosie is pawsitively beautiful, btw. Thanks for posting her pic. :hearthrob:

Again thanks for all you're doing for her. Will be waiting for your next update.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Rubysmama,
One thing that really helped was an experienced tracker who had done that for 20 years and knew pet's behavior. He told me to simply 'keep the door open'. He told me this two days in a row and I couldn't believe him the first day. All his suggestions worked including laying out a kibble trail on bits of my shirt in a 'spoke' pattern from where she escaped. Thank you so much for your encouragement. This site has been a god send.

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the tracker helped me realize that it wasn't her quest for freedom but her response to my anxiety ridden loud half feral orange cat that I've been trying to tame for years. He was 5 years old when he landed on my doorstep in a snow storm but he's always stayed a little wild and stays mostly outdoors. He was obviously TNR'd at some point (notch in his ear) I've trained him over the years to the point that I can get him to the vet if needed. It took awhile!

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I, also, have just found your thread! You've done wonderfully well thus far, and against the odds! You know, this is a really long shot, but there are some high school service organizations that are really big on community service, and looking for interesting projects. Perhaps a call to the school board to find out if there are any, then contacting their staff coordinator (teacher). It might be possible to have one or two young people come by an afternoon or so a week to just sit quietly with her and help her socialize. I'd imagine that any kid interested in a career with animals would jump at it...and the ones who are joining the service organizations at school are not trouble-makers.
I'll see if there are any organizations like that that would help. For now I'm going to take her to the next Rescue's adoption fair in a soft crate and just expose her to a cat adoring crowd and see how she does. They have them frequently. She's made progress since our ordeal. She's more approachable and doesn't mind me kissing her on her head now :-) I have to work on the 'picking her up' but that's coming along nicely too! Thanks!!!!!

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that I did not see your posts before now but fionasmom fionasmom has certainly done a wonderful job helping out! I read your thread and it touches my heart. I am an older rescuer with health issues too. I beat the bushes trying to find help at first with nearly all groups telling me that “orders ferals will not socialize.” Not true! I finally just started working with them myself. Mostly it takes time snd patience. They socialize to different degrees but almost every one of the many I brought in did socialize very well. Of the over a hundred, only one is still really skittish. Unadoptable? I lost count at 80 something that got homes. When COVID hit adoptions dropped off but I still got some in homes. I also had one get out. It actually turned her into a total lover! One thing I do that helped me is to use their carriers as their safe sanctuary. Everything good happened there. Treats, pets, catnip! Lol Sometimes I put the carrier in my lap. Brushing with a soft brush is a favorite activity with some. That happened there too. The carriers are out and open at all times. They are the beds the kitties learned were a great place. We did take short trips in the car with them in carriers too. I just wanted to stop in to say, don’t give up. Just when you least expect it, things can turn around. I found that photos of the kitties with happy expressions or just looking very relaxed brought others to love them as I did. Bravo! You are amazing and wonderful and she is beautiful. :hugs::clap2::goldstar:Please do keep us updated!
Yeah, Jcatbird, this kitty is not only adoptable but a big fluffy adorable sweet dispositioned and spirited TOTALLY adoptable kitty. I think they thought her skittishness (right after I trapped her took her to the vet...she hissed and they had to sedate her...next visit a little better but she froze because she was terrified) I'm going to take her to the next adoption fair in a soft crate (and just keep her in there) to get her used to the crowd of adoring cat lovers. She's made progress since our 'ordeal'. She's lame when she walks but neatly and almost effortlessly can clear a 42" gate lol!!! This 'rescue' totally underestimates her. Frustrates me to no end but I'm going to blast through their silly obstacles and objections and I'll be adding to her instagram in a few days to show off her brilliant personality. Thanks so much to all of you for your encouragement!!

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
didn't finish a sentence there lol! I think they judged her on the first visit when she hissed at them and the fact she was 'lame' (Pfffftttt she can jump a dang fence) And their 'post' they put together on Petfinder kept mentioning 'oh she's lame'. They finally changed that at my behest. I am going to get a video of her clearing that gate for them to look at. That will change their tune!

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the tracker helped me realize that it wasn't her quest for freedom but her response to my anxiety ridden loud half feral orange cat that I've been trying to tame for years. He was 5 years old when he landed on my doorstep in a snow storm but he's always stayed a little wild and stays mostly outdoors. He was obviously TNR'd at some point (notch in his ear) I've trained him over the years to the point that I can get him to the vet if needed. It took awhile! But we think that he spooked her and she ran out.
Chris Ekstedt Chris Ekstedt : I've also just found your thread, and want to say thank you for all you're doing for Rosie. I didn't read every word of every post, but did worry when I saw she'd escaped, and was so happy to see she came back inside on her own.

Sorry the rescue isn't being more helpful finding an adopter for Rosie. Do they know about her getting outside, and then coming back in on her own. That might help them to believe in her adoptability.

Rosie is pawsitively beautiful, btw. Thanks for posting her pic. :hearthrob:

Again thanks for all you're doing for her. Will be waiting for your next update.
Also, yes, the Rescue knows she got out and now again inside. I'll talk to them in depth about it all when I come to their adoption fair with her in a soft crate (I'll keep her in that just to get her used to that crowd). I've noticed that the only cats really on their radar are those they have had a lot of exposure to. So I'm going to make sure that happens!! Thanks again for the support!

Last edited by a moderator:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
didn't finish a sentence there lol! I think they judged her on the first visit when she hissed at them and the fact she was 'lame' (Pfffftttt she can jump a dang fence) And their 'post' they put together on Petfinder kept mentioning 'oh she's lame'. They finally changed that at my behest. I am going to get a video of her clearing that gate for them to look at. That will change their tune!
Hello Chris Ekstedt Chris Ekstedt and I see you have made a lot of progress! Just wanted to leave a welcome and encouragement. If you haven't done so yet and you are still looking for sources of excellent information and perhaps help, alleycat.org is Alley Cat Allies' website; they are the global database for all things "cat" especially free-roaming cats. They are THE BEST source of information and help. Also, you can look at animalrescuedirectory.net which has a by-state menu of rescue orgs in case you need to look some of those up. And Best Friends Animal Society at bestfriends.org is a wealth of information and help as well. You can also just input something like, "feral cat rescue in *your location*" to pull up listings.
Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job. Keep up the great work!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:wave2: Happy Caturday! :bouquet: I just wanted to stop by and say hi and to let you know how proud we all are of you and dear Rosie. We would love to see more photos (we just love lots of photos) of her and also your other kittys. :camera:
Gypsy loves being brushed, it's one of the ways we bonded with her when she was the neighborhood stray 5 yrs ago, and has several different ones as well as this comb which is more of a massager than a hair removal tool and puts her into what I call her 'Melted Butter' state. Once she is there I tip trim her nails.
Screenshot_20220212-122839_Gallery.jpg 20220212_122959.jpg
Take care, we look forward to your posts and more photos (hint, hint :lol:)
:touched::catrub:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have an instagram site for her with pics and videos :-) Thanks so much again for the support and encouragement !!:hearthrob:
Login • Instagram
Her Maine Coon genes are evident! Thanks for letting us see these gorgeous pix. I don't have or want an instagram account, so I'm very glad to be able to view them.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have an instagram site for her with pics and videos :-) Thanks so much again for the support and encouragement !!:hearthrob:
Login • Instagram
She's a beautiful girl. I was feeling sad for her while watching her hobble but was delighted and actully laughed out loud when she zoooomed by :lol: :running::catrub::catlove::clapcat: