Trapped skittish stray with an old injury. Need advice on how to motivate an adopter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Fionasmom. :) It's really hard to get the best shots of her...she is SO fast. I wish I'd gotten the one last week where she cleared a 42" gate (the one at her room which is now obviously useless lol!) easily. But she's 'lame' right? Note to self: never underestimate a cat!!

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back again. Since my health has gone downhill there is talk now of transferring Rosie to another foster. When I first trapped Rosie and took her into my house I put her in the bathroom where she cried for 2 nights straight. I had to get up repeatedly to calm her down. I got no sleep those nights. I then moved her into a bedroom and no more night crying..she calmed down and settled in on a window perch. No more night crying after that and I proceeded to start with socialization (this was in late October). Things have come along well and she eats from my lap and responds to petting. I have now told the new prospective foster this information and hoping she'll honor that and not coop her up in a bathroom. But, asking for input here. Is this something that others have experienced? Is it ok to let a cat cry like that? Just leave her in there to cry (she only did that at night.. , etc.) ? I didn't think so (and I got no sleep anyway) so I moved her and it worked. Should I be firm with this request (don't coop her up in a bathroom) or not? We had another foster volunteer that could accommodate that (put her in a bedroom not bathroom) but that fell through with kitten season (she was needed for a pregnant mom).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry your health has worsened. 🤗

About Rosie, you've made such progress with her, that I understand why you'd want to be firm with your request for a new foster to not keep her in a bathroom. So certainly make that request, but meanwhile maybe keep Rosie with you as long as possible, until the right foster can be found. But with all the progress you've made, maybe she'll respond better to whichever room her new foster sets her up in..

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well and hope that you will make some progress toward regaining some strength. Your request is absolutely a rational and sensible one and I would be very nicely emphatic about it. Yes, things can happen if someone is rescuing more than one cat, but I would still stress how much progress Rosie has made. Thank you for all that you did for her.

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. After reading your answers I think I actually will stress that point with any new foster if it gets to that. As I have observed her over time she can regress if too confined. Those two nights were awful for both of us. She's started life with a trauma and that shows in her skittishness so I am very hesitant to allow any more traumas and, as I think about this again, I'm going to have to say those nights were not helpful and more trauma for her. Her behavior changed dramatically after I got her out of there and into a bedroom (and I was still able to socialize her in the bedroom). Early on my idea was to put a gate up at the bedroom door so I could leave the door open and she would feel more 'involved' in the action and not 'shut out'. She handily jumped that 42" gate and the gate now is in the shed😆. She is out in the house now and fine. I can actually continue fostering her but it's not optimal. Traumatizing her more (and knowing it's going on) would be worse (for me and her). Thanks for the good wishes all and the enormous amount of help and support. I'm not dead yet and I've GOT to make it a few more years. I have a 14 yr old FIV kitty that needs me.🌹 Blessings to all of you .

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Personally, I think that any foster should have sufficient room in a house for whichever number of animals are being fostered, except for extreme conditions like having to rescue an entire litter or having to save cats from a natural disaster or the like. Just continue to advocate on Rosie's behalf and keep us posted. We need you to keep on being a member here so you can help others who are in your situation!

Chris Ekstedt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far it looks good. I've told her Rosie is very active at night and that might be a problem for her. Rosie bounds (roughly and noisily) off and on my bed anywhere from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. and gallops like a freight train through the hallways knocking over food dishes, etc. lol! I now keep her in a spacious den at night with 2 large cat trees, food, water and litter box (and a window bird feeder). The new foster says 'no problem!!'. She's actually held (a struggling) Rosie at an adoption fair and seems like a good gal. I think this is going to work. Yes, I have not been too active on this site lately as I'm struggling but will continue to share my experiences with this kitty and my other 2 kitties (rescued). You all have been wonderful and have saved my sanity. 🌹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far it looks good. I've told her Rosie is very active at night and that might be a problem for her. Rosie bounds (roughly and noisily) off and on my bed anywhere from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. and gallops like a freight train through the hallways knocking over food dishes, etc. lol! I now keep her in a spacious den at night with 2 large cat trees, food, water and litter box (and a window bird feeder). The new foster says 'no problem!!'. She's actually held (a struggling) Rosie at an adoption fair and seems like a good gal. I think this is going to work. Yes, I have not been too active on this site lately as I'm struggling but will continue to share my experiences with this kitty and my other 2 kitties (rescued). You all have been wonderful and have saved my sanity. 🌹
Rosie has an excellent setup there and I pray it will be as good with her foster!
And "saving sanity" and sharing are what we're here for!