Trapped feral cats last week and brought them inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
:lolup: When we lived in the Mojave at 4,100 ft., we put each cat in the harness and leash and walked him or her out to see and feel the snow. Of course, they wanted right back inside their catio. But my ex didn't want them not to experience that, because we didn't have snow down in "the flats" in east L.A. Metro where we lived before. No clothes for them, though.

So do we get to see the coats on Zoe and Taz? I don't blame them for not liking them, though -- cats were created with fur coats, which are far more beautiful and insulating than what we make for them. :cutecat::kneading:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 -- I am fairly certain my wife took photos, I will have to see if she kept them. If she does have them I would imagine both cats have a look of displeasure, they really don't like the coats. If I can get the photos I will post them.

Update : Last night was a big step forward for Rusty and Taz. These two I worry the most about. Taz is not good at sharing and can be a bit aggressive at times. Rusty is a considerably bigger cat than Taz. Rusty is extremely docile so I would not expect him to go after Taz but I would expect him to defend himself. I don't think that would end well for Taz as Rusty is taller, longer and about twice the weight of Taz.

Taz and Rusty - May 30, 2017
TazAndRustyMay30_2017.jpg
Taz laid with his eyes closed knowing Rusty was laying next to him. I think that is a good sign as it is far better than Taz's typical stare down or hissing.

Rusty is venturing down to the basement to hang out. Our TV room is in the basement where Taz and Zoe hang out with us. Rusty has been in the basement before but this was the first night he hung out for a bit instead of passing through. Rusty seems to be very determined to be part of our family, Kitty is still adjusting.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 -- I am fairly certain my wife took photos, I will have to see if she kept them. If she does have them I would imagine both cats have a look of displeasure, they really don't like the coats. If I can get the photos I will post them.

Update : Last night was a big step forward for Rusty and Taz. These two I worry the most about. Taz is not good at sharing and can be a bit aggressive at times. Rusty is a considerably bigger cat than Taz. Rusty is extremely docile so I would not expect him to go after Taz but I would expect him to defend himself. I don't think that would end well for Taz as Rusty is taller, longer and about twice the weight of Taz.

Taz and Rusty - May 30, 2017
View attachment 182332
Taz laid with his eyes closed knowing Rusty was laying next to him. I think that is a good sign as it is far better than Taz's typical stare down or hissing.

Rusty is venturing down to the basement to hang out. Our TV room is in the basement where Taz and Zoe hang out with us. Rusty has been in the basement before but this was the first night he hung out for a bit instead of passing through. Rusty seems to be very determined to be part of our family, Kitty is still adjusting.
Nice pic! Cats usually establish some form of diplomacy -- they don't like to waste time fighting! -- although I've had to break up rolling balls of fury before :fireblob::fireblob: when Sammi jumped Calo and they would roll on the ground snarling and fighting. This didn't happen often, and eventually they learned to tolerate each other, even sleeping very close to one another on the bed! In my experience, cats will try to evade rather than fight. This is what happens sometimes now, when Elvis chases Suha. She'll run and get under the bed, which is her safe place. Elvis is a lot bigger than she is and although he's really a friendly and affectionate guy, he seems to see her as chaseable sometimes. I think he's playing, but she thinks he's potentially a problem. :sigh:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 -- My wife said Zoe wouldn't sit still for a photo so all I got is Taz in his red coat. Zoe's coat is pink. Look at Taz's face :evilgrin:

Update : Last night all four cats wandered the house together. Kitty was out of her room wandering with them. This morning was a bit different and Rusty pulled a disappearing act on me.

This morning I was feeding Taz wet food and getting Rusty and Kitty's wet food ready when Rusty walked up and started eating off the same plate as Taz. I thought OH, OH. I put Rusty's plate down really fast and Taz moved over to Rusty's plate and that was that. Eating next to each other and no growling, made me extremely happy.

Rusty has learned the schedule. I get up, feed the cats, get ready for work and then put Rusty and Kitty in their room. Well Rusty figured, not this morning. I got up, fed the cats, started getting ready and Rusty bolted to the basement. I can't find him. He has had several nights to learn the house and he hid really well. I had to go to work and my wife is home for the day to keep an eye on things. I don't think anything will happen seeing they spent the night roaming together.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 -- My wife said Zoe wouldn't sit still for a photo so all I got is Taz in his red coat. Zoe's coat is pink. Look at Taz's face :evilgrin:

Update : Last night all four cats wandered the house together. Kitty was out of her room wandering with them. This morning was a bit different and Rusty pulled a disappearing act on me.

This morning I was feeding Taz wet food and getting Rusty and Kitty's wet food ready when Rusty walked up and started eating off the same plate as Taz. I thought OH, OH. I put Rusty's plate down really fast and Taz moved over to Rusty's plate and that was that. Eating next to each other and no growling, made me extremely happy.

Rusty has learned the schedule. I get up, feed the cats, get ready for work and then put Rusty and Kitty in their room. Well Rusty figured, not this morning. I got up, fed the cats, started getting ready and Rusty bolted to the basement. I can't find him. He has had several nights to learn the house and he hid really well. I had to go to work and my wife is home for the day to keep an eye on things. I don't think anything will happen seeing they spent the night roaming together.
Awww, he does NOT look happy -- I think he knows that red coat does not compliment his fur coloration :winkcat:

Sounds like things are going very well with the furmily! Cats decide their own hierarchies and places in the family -- soon they will probably be all together and enjoying one another's company! :cutecat::kneading::lovecat3::lovecat4:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Rusty's hiding place. Not comfy so I put them back in their room was too early I guess. Kitty lied on our bed most of the time. Crazy I thought she would be the one to hide. I don't like separating them so I put both back in their safe room.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Rusty's hiding place. Not comfy so I put them back in their room was too early I guess. Kitty lied on our bed most of the time. Crazy I thought she would be the one to hide. I don't like separating them so I put both back in their safe room.
They'll surprise us every time -- nothing at all predictable about cats! Sounds like Rusty and Kitty are doing well. Good on ya! :lovecat4::zzzcat:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty and Rusty have been out of the office for over a month now. The two sets of cats are still a little leery of each other but last night both Kitty and Taz slept in bed with us. I think Rusty slept on the floor in our bedroom and Zoe prefers her couch in the basement. Kitty and Rusty have been out of their room for the past two days and nights. Rusty appears to get upset if I close the door to their room so it has been open the past couple of days.

Kitty and Rusty on the living room couch - June 8, 2017
KittyRustyOnCouch.jpg

Merging cats has been a lot like socializing Kitty and Rusty. Time and patience have been the key ingredients. Kitty and Rusty have been the opposite compared to when I socialized them. Rusty socialized faster than Kitty but Kitty has settled faster at my house than Rusty. Kitty used to hide in the office building and Rusty would sit out in the open. At home Rusty has gone into hiding and Kitty is out in the open. Demonstrates how unpredictable cats can be.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty and Rusty have been out of the office for over a month now. The two sets of cats are still a little leery of each other but last night both Kitty and Taz slept in bed with us. I think Rusty slept on the floor in our bedroom and Zoe prefers her couch in the basement. Kitty and Rusty have been out of their room for the past two days and nights. Rusty appears to get upset if I close the door to their room so it has been open the past couple of days.

Kitty and Rusty on the living room couch - June 8, 2017
View attachment 183492

Merging cats has been a lot like socializing Kitty and Rusty. Time and patience have been the key ingredients. Kitty and Rusty have been the opposite compared to when I socialized them. Rusty socialized faster than Kitty but Kitty has settled faster at my house than Rusty. Kitty used to hide in the office building and Rusty would sit out in the open. At home Rusty has gone into hiding and Kitty is out in the open. Demonstrates how unpredictable cats can be.
It sounds like they're doing great after such a short time. Great photo of Kitty and Rusty together -- they look very happy and comfortable on that fancy sofa!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to start out by thanking tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 because you are the best cheerleader ever. If in school they didn't pick you as cheerleader they didn't know what they were missing! You are truly amazing tarasgirl, I love you more than words can say. And of course the extra special call out to ondine ondine because you are the inspiration behind every little thing I have done. Might not be a lap cat you say, the little buggers jumped on my lap just to prove you wrong or something. I don't understand it but it is like ondine cursed me to take these cats home and I appreciate every single part of it. YOU ROCK ONDINE, NO OTHER WAY OF PUTTING IT! These cats will live at my house forever and ever and ever and ever their home because of ondine. And here I thought two was too many, proved me wrong! I only have scraps to pick up, Kitty and Rusty are as good as gold and there is nothing to stop me now. I love Anne, Ondine, Tarasgirl and every single one of you people on this site. I have two lovely kitties and it is beyond belief that they used to be feral. Not one little tiny bit of feral in them now and I have the whole entire site to thank for that. I love you all!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to start out by thanking tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 because you are the best cheerleader ever. If in school they didn't pick you as cheerleader they didn't know what they were missing! You are truly amazing tarasgirl, I love you more than words can say. And of course the extra special call out to ondine ondine because you are the inspiration behind every little thing I have done. Might not be a lap cat you say, the little buggers jumped on my lap just to prove you wrong or something. I don't understand it but it is like ondine cursed me to take these cats home and I appreciate every single part of it. YOU ROCK ONDINE, NO OTHER WAY OF PUTTING IT! These cats will live at my house forever and ever and ever and ever their home because of ondine. And here I thought two was too many, proved me wrong! I only have scraps to pick up, Kitty and Rusty are as good as gold and there is nothing to stop me now. I love Anne, Ondine, Tarasgirl and every single one of you people on this site. I have two lovely kitties and it is beyond belief that they used to be feral. Not one little tiny bit of feral in them now and I have the whole entire site to thank for that. I love you all!
*Blush* :blush: Back at'cha! YOU're the hero for putting your caring into action and walking the talk for those beautiful little foundlings! Yeah, just a while ago I was enjoying some quality time with my feral girl and telling her how absolutely lovely she is and how much I love her and am grateful for sharing life with her.
As for the number of cats, there are only three here now -- I came here almost 10 years ago, with 9, and all but 2 of those are watching over us at the Bridge. In the Mojave, 22 shared life with me. Before that, 31. So three is kind of an empty house. I wish I could adopt more right now, but my girls are 13 and 12, and my guy, 10, is sweet and loving, but tends to get a bit excited and acts "prey-driven" when anyone runs from him. So we're like this for now. I can only say I envy you. *and just for the record, I never tried out for cheerleader. Too geeky*:hellocomputer:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Has been a great summer with all four cats at home and lots of trips to the cottage. I am still trying to get a good photo of all four cats together. There have been several times I have seen what would be a good photo. Getting a picture is difficult because when I try it disturbs them and ruins the photo op.

Rusty has taken an extreme liking to me wife. Rusty sleeps at her feet and plays with her feet. She works part time and I work full time so they spend a lot more time with my wife than they do with me. My wife was somewhat reluctant of me bringing home two more cats but she has fallen deeply in love with both Kitty and Rusty. She was worried about her baby Taz but he has adjusted extremely well. In fact, beyond our expectations.

This is Taz's bed. Taz loves his bed. It's a chair he turned into his bed.

This is Kitty in Taz's bed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Has been a great summer with all four cats at home and lots of trips to the cottage. I am still trying to get a good photo of all four cats together. There have been several times I have seen what would be a good photo. Getting a picture is difficult because when I try it disturbs them and ruins the photo op.

Rusty has taken an extreme liking to me wife. Rusty sleeps at her feet and plays with her feet. She works part time and I work full time so they spend a lot more time with my wife than they do with me. My wife was somewhat reluctant of me bringing home two more cats but she has fallen deeply in love with both Kitty and Rusty. She was worried about her baby Taz but he has adjusted extremely well. In fact, beyond our expectations.

This is Taz's bed. Taz loves his bed. It's a chair he turned into his bed.

This is Kitty in Taz's bed.
Beautiful cats -- beautiful pix! I am so glad to read your happy progress report about Rusty and Kitty, and the family!