Trapped feral cats last week and brought them inside.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful! You're very much well on your way to making them happy, people-loving kitties .(who are MUCH safer than they were outside!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
kittychick >> "who are MUCH safer than they were outside"

I sleep a lot better at night knowing they are inside. It was weighing on me for several months but I did not want to trap them until I was certain I could trap both in the same day. The larger male kitten always came to eat first and I did not want the smaller female kitten left alone outside. If I was certain the mother was still around I wouldn't have been so reluctant.

Our office is not in the city so there are coyote, fox, raccoon, fisher, etc. I have seen coyotes in our yard recorded by the security cameras.  They get into the fenced in area and run around frantically to find a way out. Plus we have raccoon that frequent our garbage bin. I don't blame the wildlife for doing what they do, a domestic cat does not belong in the Canadian wilderness.

I cannot be certain how the cats ended up at my work place but I have to assume the following as there are few houses close by. Someone got a cute little female kitten and didn't do right by her (spayed). She did what is natural and got pregnant. So there is likely a second someone that got a cute little male kitten and didn't do right by him. Instead of taking the onus upon him / herself they chose to take a drive outside the city and dump the pregnant cat. A wrong followed by a much bigger wrong, that is very cold hearted. I wish bad karma on them, not too bad as I have a heart. The bad karma not because they didn't spayed the cat but because they didn't take the onus upon him / herself.

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow am I ever lucky with these cats. Rusty is an extremely laid back cat, he loves to get petted and does not get angry his little sister takes a lot of attention. Kitty is all over me, she rubs against Rusty and me. She is a little attention hog. They go to the vet on Tuesday for Kitty's stitches, shots, and id chips. Going to build a carpet covered cat house for them next week. On top of carpet covered wood posts so they can climb into it, with a hinged wall so I can get at them if need be. Kitty is starting to get restless so I need to get them things to interact with after the next vet visit when her stitches come out.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot be certain how the cats ended up at my work place but I have to assume the following as there are few houses close by. Someone got a cute little female kitten and didn't do right by her (spayed). She did what is natural and got pregnant. So there is likely a second someone that got a cute little male kitten and didn't do right by him. Instead of taking the onus upon him / herself they chose to take a drive outside the city and dump the pregnant cat. A wrong followed by a much bigger wrong, that is very cold hearted. I wish bad karma on them, not too bad as I have a heart. The bad karma not because they didn't spayed the cat but because they didn't take the onus upon him / herself.
I missed this and am with you.  I do believe what goes around, comes around.  You've done your job and these cats are so much better off since.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wow am I ever lucky with these cats. Rusty is an extremely laid back cat, he loves to get petted and does not get angry his little sister takes a lot of attention. Kitty is all over me, she rubs against Rusty and me. She is a little attention hog. They go to the vet on Tuesday for Kitty's stitches, shots, and id chips. Going to build a carpet covered cat house for them next week. On top of carpet covered wood posts so they can climb into it, with a hinged wall so I can get at them if need be. Kitty is starting to get restless so I need to get them things to interact with after the next vet visit when her stitches come out.
Wow - that sounds amazing!

They have many kinds of interactive toys - those circles with the ball inside they can chase or balls with bells in them.  My crew loves this thing called a crinkle tube - its a long tube made of a fabric that makes noise when they walk through it.  They also have mats that make the same noise.  Even a crumbled ball of paper is entertaining.

If you have time to play with them, da Bird is fantastic.  I wouldn't leave them alone with those kinds of wand toys as they can get tangled up in the strings.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet. They were very well behaved at the vet and it went really smooth. They are doing great, got their booster shots and ID Chips. I am more or less at the end of this thread as they are 0% feral in my eyes and beautiful shop cats. I will post some more photos of Kitty, Rusty and the cat house I build for them. I will post to this thread one more time when I put the photos up.

Thank you Ondine, kittychick, and catsknowme for your input and wishes. See you around on TCS.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise

Photo of Kitty and Rusty on my lap. Today is one day before their 6th week in the building.

Kitty's belly is still a little bare from her spaying operation but otherwise they are doing well.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
An update.

Kitty and Rusty are over a year old now. They roam the entire building I work in and don't fear my coworkers as much. Still a little skittish but a lot better than a couple of months ago. A few coworkers can approach and pet them. They are based out of my office and I built them a big carpeted structure for them to scratch, play and lounge on. They seem to be perfectly healthy but I intend on taking them in for a checkup and testing in the near future. I want to get them tested for FIV, etc. I want to get them tested for disease so I can know what to expect down the road. My two house cats are disease free and I pray that my work cats are as well.

Kitty is somewhat independent where Rusty likes to be close to me. Both are extremely lovable. I think their breed is American Wirehair because I saw a photo of an American Wirehair that looked almost identical to Kitty.

Kitty on the carpeted structure.

Rusty the chair warmer. Every Canadian should have one of these

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
@Ondine

@Anne

Thank you for all your support, the website, information, etc. These cats are indeed lucky cats. Because of people like you and others on this site it made it so much easier for me to do the right things. I don't think I would have been as successful without the help.  I have always been a big cat lover but did not know much about feral cats. I sure as heck knew I wasn't letting them starve, get sick or be left outside.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so very much for putting compassion into action on behalf of these very deserving little beings!  It sounds like the calico is feral as feral can be; and it just may be that she isn't able to adjust to an indoor life, however much better it would of course be for her.  *PRAYERS* and good wishes for both cats, and for you, in giving them the best possible lives and care.  Please do keep us posted.  

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful, heartwarming story.  Yes, please do keep up posted on how Kitty and Rusty are getting along.  They have become quite the little mascots at you place of business.  Such a  blessing that the establishment and your co-workers are so compassionate and  even enjoying being part of these kitties lives.  Boy, I wish I worked at your workplace.  But on the other hand, I'm afraid I wouldn't get any work done, so, scratch that thought!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're gorgeous!  But I beg to disagree:  not just every Canadian, but every cat-loving person worldwide, should have at least one chairwarmer of that type! 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're a saint.

Thank you so much for your incredible efforts on behalf of these two extraordinarily lucky cats.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty, Rusty and Mom eating. (approx 2-3 months old)

Kitty, Rusty and Mom after eating.(approx 2-3 months old)

Kitty Eating (approx 2-3 months old)

Rusty Eating (approx 2-3 months old)

Kitty (approx 9-10 months old)

Rusty  (approx 9-10 months old)