Trapped A Stray The Other Day

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd been seeing this Cat wandering around since early this spring, and since he would walk up to my livetrap then sniff and walk away I suspect he was trapped elsewhere then dropped off around where I live. This is entirely likely since it's a rural area and Cats are dropped off here all the time. He has what looks like flea dirt in his fur so I gave him a dose of revolution then gave one to my own Cats just to be safe. He's very affectionate so it's almost certain he's not a feral, and while he has what looks like a notch missing from his right ear it's very small and he seems to be intact. Either that or he has the largest empty I've ever seen on a Cat.
stray1.jpg

You can see his ear here.
stray2.jpg

And his backside. Sorry it's blurry but I can not get him to sit still at all, he is constantly moving around rubbing against me.
stray3.jpg

I plan to take him to a local rescue as soon as I can but the intake coordinator is out of town with family for newyears and I don't know when she's going to be back. I have 3 female Cats in the house and though they're spayed and he's in an isolated room I worry that if he is indeed intact he may start spraying once he gets comfortable with his new, though temporary, living arrangements. If he is intact then spending the money to get him fixed even though I can't really afford it right now would be preferable to having to clean up tomcat pee from my foster room. I'm hoping someone can tell me whether he's intact or not, though I realize it's not the best picture. I'll see if I can get one that's more clear and I'll update my post if I can but in all honesty I think this one is probably as good as I'm going to be able to get.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm thinking that nick in his ear was from a fight or something, and he sure looks intact to me as well lol
What a gorgeous kitty!
Could you try a calming product to try and help him so he doesn't feel the need to spray?
Or, try and get some plastic if he does (I read a great comment from K Kflowers that new shower curtains emit fumes when they're first removed from the package so that would be something to keep in mind).

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hardware store tarps don't seem to emit fumes. At least not the last ones we bought. Blue plastic the ones painters use.

He looks intact to me. He may hold off spraying for a little while from the joy of being inside and because your ladies are spayed. If another tom walks near your house.

Enzyme cleaners and white vinegar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked on him and noticed he ate the food I set out earlier today, drank all the water (I'm not surprised, the first day and all night he ate and drank nothing) and used the litter box. It did not have a strong odor like I would have expected from an intact male so I'm hoping that's a good sign that he's quite content to be inside and doesn't feel the need to be territorial. He still hides when I'm not in the room with him though, but as soon as I go in and pet him he gets right up and acts like a normal Cat.

Hi!
I'm thinking that nick in his ear was from a fight or something, and he sure looks intact to me as well lol
What a gorgeous kitty!
Could you try a calming product to try and help him so he doesn't feel the need to spray?
Or, try and get some plastic if he does (I read a great comment from K Kflowers that new shower curtains emit fumes when they're first removed from the package so that would be something to keep in mind).
I do have some feliway spray, but it's a small bottle that I spray in the carriers for vet visits so I don't think it would be enough. I have some tarps, so I could lay them down if he starts spraying. I'm just hoping it doesn't get to that point and I can get him into a shelter before then.

Hardware store tarps don't seem to emit fumes. At least not the last ones we bought. Blue plastic the ones painters use.

He looks intact to me. He may hold off spraying for a little while from the joy of being inside and because your ladies are spayed. If another tom walks near your house.

Enzyme cleaners and white vinegar.
I always keep some Nature's Miracle on hand just in case, I've had occasional issues with one of my Cats peeing outside the box due to a UTI and that stuff always works wonders cleaning it up. Tarps, yeah, I've got several tarps that can be used. I just hope he doesn't decide to spray on the towers I have in there because I can't really cover those up with a tarp.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One more thought, there are puppy pee pads you could use if need be on the towers (cat trees?)
Hopefully not :vibes::crossfingers:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, he's intact. ;)

You could either take him to get fixed now, or try to find a different shelter that could take him now. You can search for one here: Search For Animal Welfare Groups | Petfinder

Or do an internet or Facebook search for one.
I checked but everything nearby is closed until after newyears aside from county animal control, I could drop him off there but taking an animal to a kill shelter does not sit right with me.

Same situation with veterinarians. All closed until after newyears aside from the 24 hour emergency clinic, but they are extremely expensive and I don't think my budget for the month could handle that. I mean I could do it, but then I wouldn't have much in reserve if there was an actual emergency with one of my own Cats.

Looks like I'm going to just have to wait it out and hope he doesn't get the urge to spray. Wish me luck.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had posted his picture on my nextdoor.com neighborhood just incase he's someone's pet and one of the people in the area replied that he had seen him several times while out hunting, the guy said he was very friendly with Deer and would walk around them rubbing against their legs. Somehow I'm not all that surprised.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
He's gorgeous! Love that tail! He certainly does look intact, though. Can you feel his little furries? They look firm :(
Let's hope he's a good boy for you. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! Love that tail! He certainly does look intact, though. Can you feel his little furries? They look firm :(
Let's hope he's a good boy for you. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
I've not felt the need to try that since it's fairly certain that he's intact just from the size alone, it's like a furry walnut hanging from under his tail. The only thing that confused me was the nick in his ear tip, but Furballsmom Furballsmom is probably right and it was from a fight. I suppose just because he's really friendly doesn't mean that everything or everyone else is going to be friendly in return.

And that definitely seems to be the case. I noticed one of his paws had a black spot and figured it was just fur coloring, but I felt it last night and it didn't feel right. I got a closer look over his objections and one toe is mangled, almost like it was smashed flat. That claw is turned completely sideways and can't be retracted and I suspect that black color around it is dried blood. He grooms himself but I have not seen him licking that paw at all so I can only presume it's extremely painful when touched. I suppose I should count myself lucky that I didn't get scratched or bitten when I handled it, all he did was pull it away and go back to rubbing against my legs.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like an amazing kit!!! And he sounds as though he had a home at one time in the great long ago. I'm so glad you found him. Poor little foot.