Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Transport and donations needed for the Animal Care Center of St. John (USVI)

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Reaction score
I was recently lucky to be vacationing on the island of St. John in the US virgin islands and did some volunteering at this great (and the only) shelter on the island.  One of the major ways they help dogs and cats is by transporting them up to no-kill shelters in the states.  At the end of our trip, we adopted a very sweet 10 year old deaf cat that couldn't get a home, named Marbles. If you or if you know anyone who is going to either St. Thomas or St. John for a vacation and you would be willing to help take an animal back to either NY or Boston, please contact the ACC of St. John.  Ryan is the manager, a great guy, they are a small operation with many responsibilities. They also happily take much needed donations.  As a US territory and not a state, they are pretty much ignore by orgs that provide grants.

They handle all the arrangements, pay for everything and will have someone meet you at the other end at the airport.  All you have to do is (if its a big dog) give the dog to the airlines in a provided crate, or if small enough to go under the seat take the cat or small dog through security and onto the plane.

https://www.facebook.com/StJohnAnimalCareCenter/

and

http://www.stjohnanimalcarecenter.com/

Our new girl!

Kat0121

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
That's sad that they are ignored for grants. How awesome that you volunteered for them while you were there. I can't say that I'm surprised about that though. 

Marbles is adorable and so lucky to be with you now. I hope that she has many happy, healthy years with you. She looks tiny in the picture. Is she? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Reaction score
She's happy and about 8.5 pounds!  She has a fat stomach actually ! :)

Kat0121

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Reaction score
She has a very sweet face. She looks petite in the picture. 8.5 pounds is a good size. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Reaction score
I followed the FB link, and liked the page.  I'm a member of a whole bunch of transport organizations, some with planes available occasionally.  They will see this, and if possible, help.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Reaction score
sigh - I wish that could change about the Islands not being on the list for grants and funding. I am not the least bit surprised by your generous time to volunteer and help at the St. John shelter. AND - :lol3:, not surprised you came home with a new furry baby. She is just beautiful, and needed you so. A new life filled with great love will surely be more than she could have ever hoped. One lucky little girl - though, I bet this feeling of luck goes both ways. :heart3:

I will pass along this information on the St. John shelter to other's. The shelter really goes the mile to help potential adopter's with costs of shipping/travel. Amazing.

Last edited:

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Reaction score
How cool!  Our rescue group has also gotten some animals, I believe from the same group.  We get puppies from them.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Reaction score
I wish I had known about this when I went to St. Thomas last year.. I would've done this and deliver to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Reaction score

I wish I had known about this when I went to St. Thomas last year.. I would've done this and deliver to you.
I think they mostly publicise it on St. John.  But if you go again you can contact them!  And you can always stay on St. John, its almost all national park, very quiet, lots of  beaches, some have few if any people on them.

Last edited: